No Fourth of July celebration is complete without a steaming pan of ooey gooey cheddar mac n' cheese. Mac n' cheese is always a crowd pleaser and with great ingredients it even tastier. Feel free to add in crumbled bacon, sauteed mushroom, or caramelized onions. This recipe for cheddar mac n' cheese is straight forward and delicious.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
1 pound elbow macaroni cooked al dente
Heat a medium, deep skillet over medium heat. Add oil and butter. When butter melts into the oil, add flour and combine. Gently cook, whisking flour and butter together, until smooth and flour has had a chance to cook, about 3 minutes.
Slowly add milk while continuing to whisk. Gently bring milk to a bubble while stirring frequently. Allow the milk to thicken a bit, then stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese a handful at a time. Season sauce with nutmeg and cayenne. Add salt to taste.
Add cooked pasta to sauce and coat completely by turning over and over in the cheese sauce. Transfer to a baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Place baking dish under a hot broiler and brown the cheddar cheese on top.
- Irresistible Stove Top Mac n' Cheese with Broccoli
- Healthy Cauliflower Mac n' Cheese
- Sunday Suppers: Four Cheese Mac n' Cheese
- 4 Cheese Mac n' Cheese with Bacon
- 5 Mouth-Watering Recipes for Mac n' Cheese
- Green Guacamole Mac n' Cheese for St. Patrick's Day
- Slow Cooker Mac n' Cheese
- Comfort Food 101: Classic Mac n' Cheese
- To Die For Mac n' Cheese Fritters
- Must-Have Bacon Mac n' Cheese
- Old Fashioned Mac and Cheese #SundaySupper
- Cauliflower, Leek and Cheddar Cheese Soup
- Simple Mac and Cheese
- Guilt-Free Mac & Cheese
- Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese
- Mexican Mac and Cheese
- Mac n Cheese-gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan optional
- Macaroni and Cheese Gratin
- Broccoli and "Cheese" Soup
- Big Thick Pork Chops Stuffed With Rosemary, Mushrooms and Goat Cheese