Nothing beats a scoop of rich and decadent chocolate gelato. Gelato is denser (only 25-30 percent air) and has a lower fat content (about 5-7 percent) compared to ice cream. This means that gelato has a more intense flavor because there is a less fat coating your taste buds. This full flavored chocolate gelato is delicious on its own or topped with toasted almonds and a maraschino cherry.
2 cups organic whole milk
1/2 cup organic heavy cream
1 cup organic sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened & unprocessed cocoa powder
4 ounces 70% Chocolate (preferably Theo Chocolate), chopped
5 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
In a medium saucepan bring the milk, cream and sugar to a light simmer, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and add the cocoa powder and whisk until mixed well and whisk in the bittersweet chocolate until melted.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks. Using a ladle temper the egg yolks with the warm chocolate mixture. Once tempered add the egg yolk chocolate mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thickened and a thermometer registers 180 degrees F.
Strain the mixture through a sieve, stir in the vanilla and the sea salt. Place plastic wrap over the top of the mixture and chill in the refrigerator, approximately 30 minutes-1 hour.
After chilled pour the gelato base into the bowl of an ice-cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Freeze for 20-30 minutes prior to serving.
Can be made several days ahead of serving. If making ahead, pull out of the freezer 10-15 minutes to soften prior to serving.
Serve with fresh berries & roasted cacao nibs.
- Monday's 5 Must-Read Blog Posts
- The Carpigiani Gelato University Experiences Enrollment Explosion
- Nuts for Nutella Ice Cream
- Easy and Refreshing Watermelon Granita
- Mascarpone Gelato with Balsamic-Macerated Strawberries
- Cabernet Burgers and 4 More Uses for Leftover Red Wine
- Strawberry Shortcake Macarons and Other French Desserts for Bastille Day
- Scary Good Black Foods for Halloween
- The Skinny Alternative: Watermelon Stawberry Granita
- Pizza Ice Cream is a Frozen Piece of Pie