It's summer, it's hot out, and a blistering, bubbling pizza arrives in front of you. What's the best red wine to drink? How about something with a nice chill on it? That's dry, and (even better) has some fizz to it for extra fun and pleasure? I'm thinking Lambrusco. Authentic, high-quality versions (not the crazy sweet, bottom-shelf dwellers) are one of the best food wines around, period. And especially with a meat-laden pizza, as Lambrusco goes equally well with an assortment of cured meats.
If you're a skeptic about Lambrusco, just check out the region of Italy from where it hails: Emilia-Romagna. It's the home of Proscuitto di Parma and Parmigiano-Reggiano, and that's just the tip of the culinary iceberg. Since they drink oceans of Lambrusco in Emilia-Romagna with all that legendary Italian food, they must be on to something.
The best way to introduce (or reintroduce yourself) to Lambrusco is to head to a wine shop and ask for a recommendation. Make sure you specify something dry, and start exploring different styles and producers.
Another plus to summertime Lambrusco imbibing? You don't need a fancy glass. Just drink it out of a tumbler or a short rocks glass. And try not to burn the roof of your mouth on that hot pizza.
(By the way, I have to mention the pizza in the photo. It's a stupendous Guanciale and Nettle Pesto pizza from Bar del Corso in Seattle. If you must have an un-chilled, non-fizzy red wine with your pizza, try a Chianti.)
- If It's Thanksgiving, It's Time for Lambrusco. Yes, Lambrusco.
- Cabernet Burgers and 4 More Uses for Leftover Red Wine
- Pesto Bechamel Baked Ziti Recipe Matched With Three Affordable Italian Red Wines
- Chianti Belongs with Weeknight Pizza and in Your Wine Cellar
- Lambrusco Wine
- Grilled Octopus With A Lively Italian White Wine
- Best Ever Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Red Wine Stewed Oxtail
- The Best Pizza in the World
- The Sumptuous Side of Chianti and Pizza
- Asparagus and Red Pepper Pizza
- Simple Homemade Pizza
- Pear, Arugula, Prosciutto & Herb Cheese Tortilla Pizza
- Double Dip Red Wine Taralli
- Pizza With Bob Red Mill Pizza Mix
- Fresh Fig Cake With Amaretto Fig Compote And 2 Great Dessert Wines
- Salmon with red wine sauce
- The Best Pizza Dough
- Best Pizza Dough
- Best Pizza Crust