What makes a catchy wine label? When it comes to Bordeaux wine labels, what is going get you to pause and consider a $10-$20 bottle? While on a media trip visiting the region sponsored by Planet Bordeaux, one of the issues of discussion concerned wine labels and how to get people to pick up a bottle off the shelf. When I started feeling blue about the whole subject, it was the color rather than the emotion at Chateau Feret-Lambert. I couldn't help but have a serendipitous feeling about my random decision to wear a blue sweater that day.
There's no quibbling with what's inside the bottle. Refreshing white wines made from Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, and often a touch of aromatic Muscadelle. The reds, labeled Bordeaux and Bordeaux Supérieur, were mostly Merlot-heavy and ranged from the fresh and friendly to the surprisingly cellar-worthy. Rosés, darker in color and more robust than I'm used to, were a refreshing change of pace. Stubborn red wine-drinkers might even enjoy Bordeaux Clairet. It's kind of like a super-rosé.
What follows is a look at some Bordeaux wine labels of interest (along with a couple cool packages and thirst-quenchers) that caught my eye. Which do you find most appealing?
- Wolfgang Puck Launches Wine Label
- Bordeaux Winemaker Sings to His Grapes
- Periodic Table Wine Labels
- Train Becomes Latest Band With Wine Label
- Wine Talk: Second Label, First Class
- The Most Intimidating Wines In The World (Part One): Bordeaux
- Wine Wednesday: Do Wine Labels Trick Us Into Buying?
- Learn About Wine By Watching Experts Blind Taste
- Karl Lagerfeld Designs Label for Chanel's Gran Cru Classe Wine
- Bordeaux Clairet is a Winter-Warming Super Rosé
- Red White and Blue Sangria
- Grilled Steak Stuffed With Colorful Swiss Chard and Creamy Blue Cheese
- Potatoes and Asparagus With Light Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- Spinach and Beet Green Salad With Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- Endive With Blue Cheese, Dried Cranberries and Walnuts
- Beautiful black rice salad is all about texture
- Vino Spiked Spaghetti
- Caramel Apple Cream And White Chocolate Stuffed French Toast
- Fresh Fig Cake With Amaretto Fig Compote And 2 Great Dessert Wines
- Blue Lemonade