Lack of food is harmful to any individual, but it's particularly heartbreaking when a child goes hungry. The first three years of life are critical to a child's physical and mental health, and "food insecurity" is just one element that threatens their foundation for a healthy future. According to the USDA, 16.7 million children under the age of 18 live in households where they fail to get consistent access to enough nutritious foods to maintain a healthy life. According to FeedingAmerica.org, "20% or more of the child population in 36 states and D.C. lived in food insecure households in 2010.The District of Columbia (~31%) and Oregon (29%) had the highest rates of children in households without consistent access to food."
Today is Blog Action Day, a day when thousands of bloggers from around the world blog for good. The theme this year is "The Power of We." Collectively, we can - together as Americans - help end childhood hunger in our country. At a time when our television screens are inundated with political ads, wouldn't it feel good if we put our politics aside and joined forces for a single cause? A cause that affects all of us. As the CEO of a food-centric website and mother of a toddler, I'm asking you to join me in this cause. $1 = 8 meals. A mere $25 is 200 meals for a child. Most of us will spend far more than that on our holiday meals. Donate here! Share a message with a donation link on your Facebook, Twitter, Google+!
Other Ways to Take Action:
There are many ways to take action and many organizations are fighting the good fight. Here are just a few ways from FeedingAmerica.org or find an organization in your area.
Thank you for reading, and thank you for helping me spread the word. Here's to a healthy, thriving and full-bellied America!
Sheri L. Wetherell
- Blog Action Day: The Power of The Small Farmer
- Blog Action Day: Learn How Agricultural Cooperatives Can Combat Hunger on World Food Day
- Blog Action Day: The Power of a Home Cooked Meal
- Blog Action Day: Joy, 100,000 Donated Meals, and Sozo Friends Wine
- Blog Crush of The Day: Daily Organized Chaos
- Blog Action Day
- Blog Crush of the Day: Crazy House
- Hungry for Solutions
- Blog Action Day 2008 Poverty
- National Day of Action Join Slow Food USA
- Bruce Bad’s Manly Partay Mix
- Our gluten free version of Marion Cunningham's Irish Soda Bread
- Rainbow Cookies-Pink for Breast Cancer Awraeness Month
- In Action On Set
- Chops For Hungry Chops
- "Bad Boy" Giant Double Chocolate Cookies
- Bad Attitude BBQ Sauce
- Celebrating An Year Of Blogging With My 100th Post: Chocolate Cake, Obviously!
- Peach Cheesecake- My 100's Blog Post