This sweet potato casserole by The Kitchen Witch is an incredible Thanksgiving side dish. Creamy mashed sweet potatoes are flavored with butter, orange, and vanilla. Before the casserole is baked, they are topped with a brown sugar and pecan topping (no marshmallows here!). The result is something nutty and mildly sweet. This dish is the perfect accompaniment to the array of other savory sides.
1 1/2 to 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
Zest of 1 orange
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup pecan pieces
Pecan halves for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a a large pot, add sweet potatoes and fill with water until the potatoes are just covered. Bring to a boil, turn heat down and gently boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. In a large bowl add: beaten egg, sugar, evaporated milk, orange zest, 3 tablespoons of butter and vanilla.
Add cooked and drained sweet potatoes to the large bowl and break up the sweet potatoes with a wooden spoon or a mixer on low speed. Add the orange juice and mix until combined and potatoes are smooth. Put sweet potato mixture into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.
For the crumb topping, mix brown sugar and flour, cut in the 2 tablespoons of butter then stir in the pecan pieces. cover the sweet potato casserole completely with the crumb topping. Decorate with pecan halves if desired. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Miniature Sweet Potato Casserole Lets Dollies Have Thanksgiving Dinner Too
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- Easy Thanksgiving Recipe: Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Thanksgiving Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecans
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes and More Holiday Recipes with the Sweet Spud
- Easy Thanksgiving Recipe: Double Potato Gratin
- 5 Must Have Sweet Potato Casseroles
- 5 Fresh and Easy Ways to Eat Green Beans Outisde of the Casserole
- Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Savory Sweet Potato Sides for Thanksgiving