Trade in those frozen beans, that can of condensed mushroom soup and fried onions, and go with this delicious down home green bean casserole recipe. You'll also be nixing those unnecessary preservatives and sodium by taking the time to make this dish from scratch. Fresh mushrooms, thyme, and a splash of dry sherry make it a creamy delicious wonder! Just like Grandma used to make.
3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 medium onion, half diced and other half thinly sliced
8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2/3 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1 cup low-fat milk
3 tablespoons dry sherry (a fortified wine)
1 pound fresh green beans (about 4 cups), cut in half
1/3 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook green beans in boiling salted water until crisp and tender.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, onion powder, 1 teaspoon salt, thyme and pepper. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Add milk and sherry and bring to a simmer, stirring often to reduce flour lumps. Stir in green beans and return to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in sour cream. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
4. Whisk the remaining 1/3 cup flour, paprika, garlic powder and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Add sliced onion; toss to coat. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion to oil and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes. Spread the onion topping over the casserole.
5. Bake the casserole until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- 5 Fresh and Easy Ways to Eat Green Beans Outisde of the Casserole
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Port & Pears
- 5 Best Gluten Free Sweet Potato Casserole Recipes
- Green Bean Casserole Cups
- Easy Thanksgiving Recipe: Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
- 5 Beautiful Butternut Squash Casseroles - Gluten Free
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole 5 Ways
- 5 Scrumptious Thanksgiving Squash Recipes
- Easy Thanksgiving Recipes: Creamed Onion Casserole
- Holiday Favorite: Classic Green Bean Casserole
- Homemade Sauerkraut with cranberries
- Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque with Frangelico
- Christmas Leftover Turkey Casserole
- Turkey Casserole
- Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole
- Green Bean Casserole
- Pecan Topped Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble Topping
- Curried Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin Muffins