Potatoes are a must on Thanksgiving. While mashed potatoes are delicious, this year try something new and make cheesy scalloped potatoes. This recipe comes from Alternative Tastes and it's a quick and easy side dish. Scalloped potatoes can be made up to a day in advance and require very little effort on your part.
4 large potatoes, scrubbed and sliced thin
1 red onion or sweet onion, sliced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
pinch ground black pepper
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
Layer the bottom of casserole dish with half potato slices. Cover potatoes with layer of half of onion slices and then half of the cheese. Repeat the layering process until all of the ingredients are used up. Mix milk, flour and pepper together.
Pour milk mixture over the entire casserole. Place butter tablespoons around on top.
Cover with foil and cut slits in foil and bake until the potatoes are cookedand the cheese is bubbly; cook 45 minutes covered and then turn oven up to 425°F and bake an additional 30 minutes uncovered.
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving: Sourdough Stuffing with Sage, Sausage and Apples
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving: Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving: Green Bean and Bacon Casserole
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving: Red Yam and Kale Salad
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving: Vegan Wheat Berry and Butternut Squash Stuffing
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving: Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Red Onions and Pancetta
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving: Goat Cheese and Cranberry Ball
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving: Cranberry Kumquat Relish
- 3 Must Try Garlic Mashed Potato Recipes
- Wheatless Wednesday: Sweet Potato Buttermilk Rolls