Alex Thomopoulos, host of Bites and Booze: Gluten Free on the HUNGRY YouTube channel, shares one of her favorite gluten-free recipes with Foodista. Sweet potato gnocchi with sage and brown butter is a comforting fall dish but usually off-limits to those who are gluten intolerant. This version let's you enjoy an Italian classic gluten-free and stress-free. Alex even gives a recipe for her gluten-free all purpose flour blend.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Sage Brown Butter Sauce
Recipe courtesy of Alex Thomopoulos
Sweet Potato Gnocchi:
2 pounds sweet potatoes
2/3 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups Alex's AP Gluten Free Blend (recipe below)
Parmesan cheese, for garnish
Sage Brown Butter Sauce:
1 stick unsalted butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
15 sage leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil.
2.Bake sweet potatoes until tender, 40-45 minutes. Scoop out the flesh and mash in a bowl. Measure 2 cups of the mashed sweet potato and place in a bowl. To the sweet potatoes add ricotta, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pepper and mix to combine. Add the flour and mix until fully incorporated. The dough should be sticky and hold together. Divide the dough into thirds. Generously dust your cutting board with extra gluten free flour. Take one section of dough and roll it into a 1-inch log. Cut the log into 1-inch pieces and place on a baking sheet dusted with gluten free flour to prevent sticking. Repeat with remaining dough.
3.Add gnocchi, in batches, to boiling water being careful not to overcrowd, and cook 3-4 minutes or until they float. Remove to a bowl and tent to keep warm. Continue to cook remaining gnocchi.
For the Sage Brown Butter Sauce:
1.In a skillet melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted add the sage leaves and let them begin to fry. Season with salt and pepper. When the butter begins to brown and the sage leaves crisp slightly add the gnocchi and toss to coat. Finish with the maple syrup. Spoon gnocchi into a serving dish and garnish with Parmesan.
Alex's AP Gluten Free Blend:
2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
2 cups sorghum flour
1 1/3 cups tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch
1 1/2 cups sweet rice flour
2/3 cups cornstarch
4 teaspoons xanthan gum
1.Mix to combine and store in an airtight container.
Yield: approximately 8 cups
- Homemade Allergy Friendly Gnocchi
- Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Rice Soup with Sage
- Meatless Monday: Pasta with Sage & Grilled Tomatoes
- 5 Must Try Olive Recipes
- Must Try! Chicken Under a Brick
- Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms 3 Ways
- Seasonal Sunday: 5 Best Herb Infused Sorbets
- Best Gluten Free Stuffed Pepper Recipes
- Classic Julia Child: Poulet Saute aux Herbes de Provence, GFCF
- 5 Perfect Panna Cotta
- Gluten Free Vegan Gnocchi
- Gnocchi - Sweet Potato Recipes
- Creamy Cashew Garlicky Sage Sauce
- Mac n Cheese-gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan
- Spinach Malfatti With Sage Brown Butter Sauce
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Dill
- Simple and Satisfying: Stuffed Peppers
- Butternut Squash Ravioli With Browned Butter, Sage and Pinenuts
- Baked Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Sauteed Italian Spring Greens: Looks like Grass, Tastes like Spinach but better!