Candy filled alfajores from Betty Crocker contain a sweet surprise. The recipe for this traditional Argentinean cookie contains a twist, they are filled with candy! These sandwich cookies are spread with dulce de leche (caramel) and chocolate hazelnut spread. For the finishing touch, the alfajores are rolled in toasted coconut.
Candy Filled Alfajores
1 pouch Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
Butter and egg called for on cookie mix pouch
2/3 cup dulce de leche (caramelized sweetened condensed milk)
1/4 cup hazelnut spread with cocoa
1 teaspoon multicolored candy sprinkles
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 teaspoons shortening
1/4 cup toasted coconut
- Heat oven to 375°F (350°F for dark or nonstick cookie sheets).
- Make sugar cookie dough as directed on pouch. Roll dough into 36 (1-inch) balls; place on ungreased large cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute. Using 1 1/4-inch round cutter; cut the center out of 12 of the cookies and set aside for another use. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Spread about 1 1/2 teaspoons dulce de leche on each of 12 uncut cookies. Top each with cookie with center cut out. Fill each hole of 11 of the cookies with 1 teaspoon hazelnut spread. Fill 12th cookie with colored sprinkles (that’s the surprise cookie). Spread 1/2 teaspoon dulce de leche around top edge of each cookie to act as "glue," and top with remaining 12 cookies. Press together gently to squeeze dulce de leche out slightly.
- In small microwavable bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening uncovered on High 1 minute, stirring until smooth. Dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate. Roll edges of other half of each cookie in toasted coconut, pressing slightly to allow it to stick. Place on sheet of waxed paper; refrigerate to set chocolate. If desired, place cookies in decorative bags to give as gifts.
Makes 12 cookies
Want more from Foodista? Sign up below!