Mario Batali says parsnips make the perfect side dish for the colder months. To prove his point, Batali shared his own recipe of Parsnips with Horseradish and Chives.
"Like many of the tastiest foodstuffs, parsnips were once a staple among the poor in Italy and elsewhere in Europe," Batali writes. "When the potato came from the New World and disseminated throughout the continent, parsnips fell out of favor. For centuries, they were used almost exclusively as animal feed."
Batali hopes to change all that by educating the masses on just how great parsnips are. You can check out his recipe below!
Parsnips with Horseradish and Chives
Serves 8 to 10 as a side dish
3 pounds parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 ½-inch-long batonettes
¼ cup plus 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup Prosecco or Champagne
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ cup plus 1 cup prepared white horseradish
¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
¼ cup chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. In a large roasting pan, toss the parsnips with the 4 teaspoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Add the Prosecco and stir. Place the pan in the oven and roast, stirring once or twice, until the parsnips are tender and the Prosecco has been absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the butter and remaining 1/4 cup oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted, remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 cup of the horseradish. Add the parsley, chives and poppy seeds, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the horseradish-herb butter over the warm roasted parsnips, and toss to coat. Serve in a warmed shallow bowl with the remaining 1 cup horseradish on the side.
- Mario Batali Releases Wine Collection with TastingRoom.com
- Mario Batali's Sons to Publish Cookbook
- Mario Batali's Jellyfish Salad
- Mario Batali Auctions Off His Ponytail
- Joe Jonas Cooked with Mario Batali on The Chew
- Mario Batali Settles Server Tip Suit for $5 Million
- Mario Batali to Open Boston Pizzeria
- Mario Batali, Michael Symon Present at 29th Annual Aspen Food and Wine Classic
- Survey Shows Celebrity-Branded Food is just Average
- Mario Batali Reveals Secrets to a Succesful Restaurant
- Long Fusilli With Italian Sausages
- Pasta Con Pepe E Caciotta Al Tartufo
- Juicy Steak With Mushrooms, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Horseradish Sauce
- Jerusalem Artichoke, Potato and Parsnip Soup With Caramelized Onions
- Zucchini Parsnip Latkes
- Curried Parsnip Soup (Dairy-Free)
- A healthy alternative to your everyday pizza, white with parsnips
- STEAK WITH LEMON-ORANGE HORSERADISH BUTTER
- Fresh tomato and horseradish sauce
- Radish, Cucumber & Chive Salad