At the auction today, our neighbor asked if we had enough turnips. Who does? So, he brought me a dozen of the most beautiful purple tops you have ever seen.
This time of year is perfect for eating turnips, because they taste better after a frost, and it's the time of year where we do a lot of roasting in the oven. Turnips love to roast low and slow, to bring out their natural sweetness.
If you have access to some turnips now, try them. You may be surprised at how sweet and tender a fresh, seasonal turnip can be. Here are some ways to cook them:
- Seasonal Sunday: May 1 - 7
- Winter Recipes: Ruttabaga and Turnip Slaw
- Seasonal Eating: Spring Leek Soup
- Seasonal Eating: Fresh Cherries In Limoncello
- Seasonal Eating: Kohlrabi Slaw
- Celebrate Seasonal Eating: Mushroom Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Squash
- Seasonal Sunday April 10 - 16
- Seasonal Eating: Pumpkin and Bean Chili
- 5 Tips for Healthy and Sustainable Eating on a Budget
- How To Store Potatoes