Baking Out Loud by Hedy Goldsmith encourages home bakers to get into the kitchen and be adventurous. She is known for innovative desserts and unique flavor combinations. In her cookbook, Goldsmith covers the basics such as cookies, cakes and puddings; however, the chapter on childhood treats is perhaps the most interesting. She returns to her favorite sweets and updates them to match a more upscale palette. Whether you are sinking your teeth into red velvet twinks, overstufffed o's, or pop t's, you will be overwhelmed with nostalgia while at the same time appreciating the creative license of her desserts. Baking Out Loud is packed with exciting recipes that are not overly fanciful but nevertheless fun to eat.
1. What inspired you to write Baking Out Loud ?
I love teaching and sharing my baking knowledge with anyone passionate enough to try their hand at baking from scratch. My inspiration comes from dispelling the myth that baking is too difficult for the average baker.
2. What do you think makes Baking Out Loud standout compared to other pastry books?
I wanted home bakers ( no matter what level of skill ) not to be intimidated by the recipes in the book. I love pushing the flavor envelope and encourage each baker to find their own "Out Loud Moments" by using different techniques and unusual ingredients not normally found in baking books.
3. What three recipes from Baking Out Loud would you recommend for holidays?
- Granny Smith Apple Streusel Pie with Ricotta Gelato, Maple Flan with candied bacon,
- Ruby Red Grapefruit Marmalade
- Salted Peanut brittle + Chocolate Hazelnut Smear.
4. What essential piece of advice would you give to a beginner baker?
Read the recipe from start to finish so there are no unexpected surprises before jumping in
5. You currently have a full plate, what plans do you have for the future?
Thinking about the second book. I have only just begun ......
- Cookbook Collector: Momofuku Milk Bar
- Cookbook Collector: Salty Snacks + Poppy Seed Crackers
- The Cookbook Collector: United States of Pie + Blackberry Jam Pie
- Cookbook Collector: Liddabit Sweets Candy Cookbook + Buttermints
- The Cookbook Collector: Candle 79 + Mixed Grain Waffles with Raspberry Butter
- Ricotta and Pear Cake from Southern Italian Desserts
- Coffee Crumb Cake Muffins - It's What's for Breakfast
- Gluten-Free Almond Tuiles from Flavor Flours
- Wintermint Cake from Baked Occasions
- Cookbook Collector: Vegetable Literacy
- Apple, cinnamon and walnut rolls + cream cheese crispy rolls!
- Sweet and Tart Lemon Bars
- TWD: Johnny Cake Cobbler, with a dash of cranberries
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cups
- Apple Spice Cookies; a recipe for comfort when the air turns chilly
- Caramel Apple Slab Pie
- Choco-Coco-Banana Cake
- Eggs With Ham and Asparagus Casserole
- Brown Sugar Sponge Cookie w/ Chocolate Covered Caramels
- Mexican Baked Eggs