Gah, I know I'm not supposed to say "cheap." Yes, this Parés Baltà Cava Brut is an inexpensive sparkling wine from Spain. And it's fun to drink. So I like to call it "cheap and cheerful." Is that so wrong?
From the Penedes region, not far from the French border, is where you'll find the bulk of Spanish sparkling wine (Cava) production. To be called "Cava" a Spanish sparkling wine must be made in the same rigorous manner as Champagne. But you'll find the price will treat your wallet less rigorously. Which is why I chose to drink it on New Year's Eve. You're probably shocked that, as the Wine Editor here at Foodista, I was not indulging in the finest, rarest vintage Champange. Nope. I started my evening off with a glass of this fresh and refreshing bottle of bubbles.
These comments are in no way intended to slight dear Champagne. It's something you can (and should) enjoy with more regularity, year-round. As David Speer, owner of the Champagne bar Ambonnay in Portland, OR, memorably told me: "If you don’t have a Champagne budget, figure out a way to cut your expenses. Champagne is way better than cable."
But if you're looking for an all-purpose, tasty workhorse of a bottle of bubbles, you'll find the Parés Baltà a sparkling edition to your wine-drinking repertoire.
- Pairing Chex Mix and Wine
- 5 New Year's Eve Bargain Sparkling Wine Ideas
- Sparkling Red Moscato from Brazil is a Wine for a Sizzling Beach
- Champagne Chairs Are Made From Sparkling Wine Cork Cages
- Airén from La Mancha Makes a Fun Fresh White Wine
- Underwater Wine, A Sparkling Story
- Making Vinegar From Wine
- Sparkling Rosé is Everywhere
- Australia Approves Laxative Agent in Wine
- 5 New Cocktails That Say: Good Health, Good Cheer for Thanksgiving!
- Autumn Sangria
- Fresh Peach Bellini
- Elderflower cocktails
- Irresistible Chicken
- Homemade Basic Pizza Dough
- Tuxedo Brownie Re-Make (Adapted From A Pampered Chef Recipe)
- Make Homemade Sweets|mithai From Any Leftover Sweets..
- Make your own wine, whisky or brandy!
- NIMKI/ NAMAK PARÉ/ MATHRI (Savoury Indian Stick Crackers)
- Cheez Whiz Broccoli Rice Casserole