If you are recovering for a cold or just the holiday season, this rejuvenating lemongrass and tofu soup Cooking's Good Vegetarian Cafe is exactly what you need. The broth is made with a combination of vegetable stock and coconut milk, The stalks of lemongrass are boiled with the broth so the flavor permeates the soup, transforming it into something exotic and delicious. You can use whatever combination of veggies suit your tastes, this recipe recommends mushrooms and snow peas. Lemongrass and tofu soup is good and good for you.
2-3 stalks fresh lemongrass
3-4 dried red peppers
1 inch ginger sliced
2 cloves garlic sliced (optional)
3 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup coconut milk
6 oz tofu cubes
handful of snow peas
handful of mushrooms sliced
4 oz rice noodles
juice of half a lime or more
grated ginger, scallions, lime slices for garnish
Chop the lemongrass into 2 inch pieces and then slice down the center, add to the soup pot along with the broth and coconut milk, garlic and ginger. Bring to a boil and them simmer on low for 30 minutes. Once the broth is done simmering you will want to strain it through some cheese cloth. The lemongrass stalks are not edible, I found that out the hard way.
Bring the broth back to a simmer and add the tofu, mushrooms, snow peas and the rice noodles.
You can add the lime juice at any time.
I added some lime juice at the beginning and then some at the end before serving.
Simmer until the noodles are soft.
Garnish with grated ginger or scallions.
- Meatless Monday: Tofu Lemongrass Soup
- Meatless Monday Recipe: Vietnamese Noodle Salad With Tofu
- DIY Tofu Making Kit
- Poppin' Peanut and Tofu Noodles
- Meatless Monday Recipe: Vegetable and Tofu Pad Thai
- Spectacular Seared Sesame Tofu
- 5 Tofu Tips from Chef Jet Tila
- Crispy Coconut Tofu Fries with Spicy Apricot Sauce
- Meatless Monday: Caramelized Tofu with Rice Noodles
- Meatless Monday: Easy Miso-Glazed Tofu Steaks