I often find that my favorite butternut squash soup recipes are fairly decadent thanks to a whole milk and rich cream base. However, I was inspired this week to make a dairy-free version which is a little lighter but still retains all the great flavor I’ve come to love. I personally enjoy this soup on its own and it’s also wonderful served over a scoop of protein-rich quinoa. It’s become a clean eating favorite of mine in this new year.
Butternut Squash and Sage Soup
This soup reheats beautifully, just toss it into a saucepan with a splash of almond milk.
Serving Size: 4 (245 calories per serving)
1 medium butternut squash, roasted, peeled
3 sprigs fresh sage, stems removed
3-4 cups almond milk
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
pinch sea salt, pepper
1/4 cup hazelnuts
Learn more about the better-for-you ingredients in this recipe:
Butternut Squash – Winter squash, including butternut squash, is a good source of fiber and is especially rich in beta-carotene (which your body automatically converts to vitamin A). Vitamin A helps to support strong, healthy vision and has been identified as a deterrent against age-related macular degeneration.
Slice butternut squash lengthwise, remove seeds and place face down on a baking sheet for 25 – 30 minutes in a 400F degree oven. Remove when the squash is fork tender.
Toast hazelnuts in a small, dry skillet over medium heat until just brown. Set aside.
In the same skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil and sage leaves. Let the sage leaves and oil toast up for ~ 2-3 minutes. When the sage leaves start to look slightly translucent turn off the heat.
Working in batches, purée the roasted squash with sage, hazelnuts and almond milk in a blender or food processor until smooth. Keep a few hazelnuts aside for garnish. (Note: With a larger butternut squash, I recommend using four cups of almond milk for a super smooth consistency.)
Divide soup between four bowls and garnish with few toasty hazelnuts over the top. Enjoy!
- Gluten Free Vegan Pumpkin Rice Soup with Sage
- Celiac Saturday: 4 Butternut Squash Soup Recipes To Drool Over
- 5 Beautiful Butternut Squash Casseroles - Gluten Free
- Meatless Monday: Pasta with Sage & Grilled Tomatoes
- Meatless Monday: 3 Simply Sophisticated Soups
- 5 Bold Gluten Free Butternut Squash Comfort Foods
- 3 Must Try 'No Potato' Leek Soup Recipes - Vegan + Gluten Free
- Meatless Monday: Greek Lentil Soup
- Bacon & Potato Soup, Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Dairy Free & Delicious: Garlic Scape Soup
- Curried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
- Butternut Squash Ravioli With Browned Butter, Sage and Pinenuts
- Pasta with Butternut Squash, Sausage and Sage Pesto
- Roasted Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash and Zucchini Lasagna-Gluten free, Vegan
- Pasta With Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onions
- Creamy Cashew Garlicky Sage Sauce
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
- Silky Roasted Butternut Squash & Apple Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Dip