January 21, 2013
Happy National Clam Chowder Day! Honor this All-American dish by making a pot of it yourself. No one can resist the combination of creamy broth, velvety potatoes and briny clams. Don't forget the oyster crackers.
8 ounces each minced or chopped clams
1 teaspoon salt, go easy on salt, maybe less
1 1/2 cups drained whole kernel corn
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 cup clam liquid and water
3 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium onion finely diced
2 cups diced raw potato
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons flour
Drain clams. Pour clam liquid into measuring cup and add water to make 1 cup.
Fry bacon until crisp. Add onion and cook until tender. Add potatoes, clam liquid and water. Lower heat and simmer gently until potatoes are tender.
Add corn and milk. Blend flour and butter and stir into soup. Cook slowly until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly. Add seasonings and clams. Simmer 5 minutes. Top with 1/2 cup coarse cracker crumbs, optional.
- 2 Cozy Clam Chowder Recipes
- Creamy New England Clam Chowder
- Cooking + Drinking - 5 Must Try Gluten Free Brandy Recipes
- Christmas Leftovers: Ham and Potato Chowder
- An Award-Winning Clam Chowder Recipe With A Gluten Free Version
- Easy Mini New England Clam Chowder Bowls
- Classic Crab Cakes
- Rob Merlino Celebrates National Hot Dog Month With a 31-Day Frankfurter Binge
- Grilled Banana Splits for National Banana Split Day!
- Happy Waffle Day!
- A Stalk of Abalone Flower On Mother’s Day!
- Light Clam Chowder
- TWD: Johnny Cake Cobbler, with a dash of cranberries
- How would you prepare a Coastal Clambake?
- Cream of Ham & Potato Soup
- Garlicky Good Clams
- Homemade Clam Chowder
- Clam Chowder
- Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Clam Chowder With Fire Roasted Tomatoes