This unique and delicious dish consists of homemade cheese made from wild thistle. In lieu of using animal or other vegetable rennets, thistle rennet is used to coagulate the milk solids. The result is a slightly floral and tangy flavor. This recipe comes from Executive Chef John Cox of the award-winning Sierra Mar Restaurant at Big Sur's Post Ranch Inn.
Wild Thistle Cheese with Baby Artichoke Confit
Wild Thistle Cheese
4 wild thistles (you can easily forage for this easy to find plant)
2 cups water
1.5 gallons milk
.5 gallons buttermilk
1 cup Crème Fraiche
1 tbs sea salt
Bring 2 cups of water to 130 degrees- add the stamens from 4 wild thistles and steep for 1 hour- strain through a coffee filter
Bring 1.5 gal whole milk and .5 gal buttermilk to 130 degrees- add the cardoon thistle water and continue to hold at low heat until curd rises- 45 minutes.
Strain the curd into a chinoise and allow to drain for 1 hour.
Mix the curd with kosher salt and 1 cup crème fraiche.
Fennel and Artichoke Confit
12 baby Artichoke Hearts cut in Half
2 fennel bulbs cut into ½ inch slices
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic
4 branches thyme
1 tbs kosher salt
5 cups olive oil
Put all ingredients in pot. Make sure everything is covered in oil. Put pot in 250 degree oven for 2 hours or until artichokes are tender.
2 raw artichokes
6 cups water
1 cup cornstarch
Oil for frying
Slice Artichoke into thin rounds.
Soak artichoke slices in mix of cold water and cornstarch for 3 hours
Remove artichokes and fry in 350 degree oil until bubbles stop
Drain on paper towels
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Society Garlic Flowers
Sweet Alyssum Flowers
Bronze Fennel Fronds
Shaved Meyer Lemon
Cracked Black Pepper
Maldon Sea Salt
- Cucumber Celery Gazpacho with Thyme Onion Confit
- Three Chicken Recipes That Will Make Your Taste Buds Go WIld
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- Easy Appetizer: Spinach And Artichoke Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms
- 5 Recipes For National Artichoke Heart Day
- Meatless Monday: Wild and Tame Mushroom Soup
- Celiac Saturday: Eggplant Artichoke Galette
- Steamed Artichokes with Roasted Pepper Aioli
- Today Only: A Wild Sale on Wild Alaskan Coho Salmon!
- Versatile and Easy Italian-Inspired Shrimp and Artichoke Salad
- Crazy Dutch Babies
- Baked Chicken Breasts Stuffed With Wild Rice
- Baby Bok Choy Stir Fry
- Confit Of Cranberries, Figs, and Baby Onions
- Wild Alaskan Salmon Sandwiches [translate]
- Wild Rice and Cranberry Salad
- Baby Blake’s Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- Artichoke and Crab Dip
- Wild Alaskan Pink Salmon Patties With Spicy Arugula Salad
- Glazed Baby Artichokes