This weekend, I had the idea of peeling parsnips into long ribbons and toasting them up in some organic butter and freshly ground nutmeg. While certainly quite simple, it was a vibrant addition to a Saturday brunch that I really enjoyed. I topped a handful of these artistic parsnip ribbons with a crispy skillet egg and a big salad. But I think they would be lovely also tossed and served with just about anything including a warm serving of protein-rich quinoa or brown rice. I also love them tossed with a few strips of sautéed carrot.
Parsnip Ribbons With Nutmeg
Serving Size: 2 (175 calories per serving)
3 small parsnips, scrubbed, ends trimmed
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground (if possible)
Learn more about the better-for-you ingredients in this recipe: ◦ Parsnips – Parsnips are a surprisingly good source of vitamin C.
Peel parsnips with a nice sharp peeler into long, flat ribbons.
In a skillet over medium heat, combine butter and parsnips. Make sure to gently move the ribbons around in the pan so they just become brown and crispy on the edges without burning. Just before removing the parsnips from the heat, toss with fresh nutmeg. Don’t be shy with the nutmeg, I found it really added an exciting element to such a simple preparation.
Divide the noodles between two plates and serve up with a toasty egg and a vibrant salad like this Southwestern Quinoa one.
- The Ultimate Diet Friendly Pizza
- 8 Ways To Spice Up Your Homemade Juice Creations
- Must-Try Vegan Recipe: Cauliflower Flatbread with Avocado and Hummus
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Chia Pet Pudding
- Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Fresh Summer Salads
- What You Didn't Know About Quinoa & A Recipe
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- Curried Parsnip Soup (Dairy-Free)
- Easy Breakfast Cookie
- Zucchini Ribbon Caper Salad
- Chili Roasted Sunchokes & Parsnips
- Vegan Acorn Squash Risotto
- Vegan Peach Cobbler Milkshake
- Pumpkin, celery root and carrot salad
- Creamy Artichoke Dip with Dill
- Galaxy Nutritional Foods Dairy-Free Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Carrot Soup