Moroccan baked eggs, or shakshuka, are a simple but delicious meal. Eggs are cooked in a spicy tomato sauce that is flavored with smoked paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper. You can make this dish in a large skillet or individually in ramekins (like this recipe suggests). Garnish your eggs with chopped cilantro and feat cheese.
1 tablespoon EVOO
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
1/2 sweet red pepper, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 cup of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1/4 cup low sodium Vegetable or Chicken stock
2 large Eggs
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 green onion, finely chopped
Add tomatoes to onion mixture and mix well.
Cook over medium heat for 10-20 minutes until this mixture has reduced. If it reduces too quickly, add more stock.
The sauce is ready when the tomatoes have reached a beautiful dark red colour. Set aside one day.
Evenly divide the tomato sauce into 2 medium ramekins (I used Le Creuset mini casseroles). Return to oven and heat until sauce bubbles.
Create a divot on one side of the tomato sauce in each ramekin, break one egg into each ramekin.
Place the ramekins onto a cookie sheet and cover with foil or the Le Creuset mini casseroles' lid.
- 3 Must Try Vegan Gluten Free Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Curry For All Seasons
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- 5 Perfect Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
- Meatless Monday: Pasta with Sage & Grilled Tomatoes
- Allergy Friendly Cooking: Gluten Free & Vegan Recipes
- Meatless Monday: 5 Gluten Free Greek Recipes To Try
- DIY Gluten Free Baba Ghanoush
- Meatless Monday: 3 Simply Sophisticated Soups
- It's National Pickle Day!
- Walnut Lentil Burgers with Tarragon
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- Imitation Whole Bowl Tali Sauce
- Tofu Vegetable Salad
- Curry Lentil & Eggplant Lettuce Tacos
- Simple and Satisfying: Stuffed Peppers
- Moroccan Vegetables With Spiced Couscous
- Moroccan Chickpea Soup
- Stuffed Delicata Squash - gluten free, vegan
- Butternut Squash Gratin - gluten free, soy free, vegan