Moroccan baked eggs, or shakshuka, are a simple but delicious meal. Eggs are cooked in a spicy tomato sauce that is flavored with smoked paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper. You can make this dish in a large skillet or individually in ramekins (like this recipe suggests). Garnish your eggs with chopped cilantro and feat cheese.
1 tablespoon EVOO
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
1/2 sweet red pepper, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 cup of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1/4 cup low sodium Vegetable or Chicken stock
2 large Eggs
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 green onion, finely chopped
Add tomatoes to onion mixture and mix well.
Cook over medium heat for 10-20 minutes until this mixture has reduced. If it reduces too quickly, add more stock.
The sauce is ready when the tomatoes have reached a beautiful dark red colour. Set aside one day.
Evenly divide the tomato sauce into 2 medium ramekins (I used Le Creuset mini casseroles). Return to oven and heat until sauce bubbles.
Create a divot on one side of the tomato sauce in each ramekin, break one egg into each ramekin.
Place the ramekins onto a cookie sheet and cover with foil or the Le Creuset mini casseroles' lid.
- Meatless Monday: 3 Simply Sophisticated Soups
- Meatless Monday: Greek Lentil Soup
- Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Curry For All Seasons
- Meatless Monday: Easy Roasted Summer Veggies
- Meatless Monday: Pasta with Sage & Grilled Tomatoes
- Meatless Monday: 5 Gluten Free Greek Recipes To Try
- Meatless Monday: GF Stuffed Heirloom Tomatoes
- Meatless Monday: 5 Best Summer Bean Recipes
- Meatless Monday: Spicy Moroccan Chickpea Spaghetti
- Meatless Monday: Egg Salad Sandwich with Avocado
- Meatless Monday :: Squash & Sweet Potato Fritatta
- Moroccan Vegetables With Spiced Couscous
- Moroccan Chickpea Soup
- Meatless Monday Black Bean Soup
- Easy Breakfast Cookie
- Moroccan Chickpea and Lentil Soup
- Shakshuka - Breakfast Or Brunch
- Meatless Sloppy Joes
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Healthy Low-Fat Cornbread