Knowing how to assemble your own Caesar salad is a mark a good home cook. This restaurant staple is as easy to throw together at home as it is to order off a menu. The traditional Caesar dressing made with anchovies, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and olive oil is whipped in a blender. Many recipes will call for an egg yolk but this one uses a hard boiled egg instead to give the dressing body. This simple Caesar salad is perfect with a grilled chicken breast or grilled jumbo shrimp.
1 loaf Italian bread
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
3 anchovy filets
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
3 inches romaine lettuce hearts, cut 2-inch pieces
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the cubes in a large mixing bowl.
Cook for two minutes, giving the pan a shake often.
Process until garlic is well minced and a paste forms.
Put the lettuce in a large bowl.
Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss.
Add the cheese and croutons and toss well.
- Back to the Basics: Paleo Margarita
- How-To Recipe: Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad
- Thanksgiving Basics: Mashed Potatoes
- Cooking Basics: Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Killer Kale Salads for Everyday Meals
- Avocado Pesto Pasta Salad and Other Summer Pasta Salads
- Back to School Lunch: Veggie Wraps
- Cooking Basics: How To Cook The Perfect Ham
- Cooking Basics: Jacques Pepin Makes The Perfect Omelet
- Best Back to School Lunches for Kids