With the rise of the celebrity chef, it's easy to forget that there are tens of thousands of hard working chefs who don't get the level of recognition garnered by Cat Cora, Bobby Flay, and Mario Batali.
While many of the elite make millions of dollars each year from TV contracts, books, and theme restaurants, even professionals with the prestigious title of "Head Chef" only make about $40K per year, according to leading salary data site PayScale.com. In a recent blog post on chef salary information they profile the profession, where the average "Kitchen Chef" typically earns just over $27,000 per year and often work shifts that "run 12 to 14 hours, six days a week."
So if you love to watch Rachael Ray, Guy Fieri, Gordon Ramsay and Paula Deen on TV...also take the time to send compliments to the chefs of your local restaurants and give those extremely hard working, modestly paid individuals some additional recognition!
Disclosure: In addition to my role at Foodista, I am also employed by PayScale.
- Guy Fieri Doesn't Like Wearing Gloves in the Kitchen
- Jamie Oliver Doesn't Like Being Asked About his Weight
- Julia Child Gets Auto-Tuned
- America's Highest Paid Chefs
- Deadmau5 Becomes Sushi Chef in New Promo for Wynn
- Gordon Ramsay Gives Playboy Interview
- 'MasterChef Australia' Winner Julie Goodwin Turns Down $250,000 Jenny Craig Deal
- 'How to Eat a Tic Tac Like a Boss' Shows You That You've Been Doing It Wrong for Years
- Gordon Ramsay Everyday Kitchen Collection for Kmart to Debut in Fall 2011
- Alice Waters to Sign New Book at Chino Farm
- Video: How to Make Italian Coffee at Home
- Sauteed Italian Spring Greens: Looks like Grass, Tastes like Spinach but better!
- French Vanilla Butter Cake With Raspberry Filling Vanilla Buttercream Frosting and Bittersweet Ganache
- Whipped Cream Like Frosting
- Fudge-Like Breadfruit Pie
- Cook Like An Italian Calzone
- Like Pisa Tower – Crab Salad with Grapefruit, Pomegranate, Avocado and Watercress
- Some Like It Hot......Roasted Poblano Vichyssoise With Lime
- Caramel Shortbread-Like Twix Candy
- Just Like Oh Henry Bars