The horse meat sold as beef scandal that has rocked the European food world has now extended to a couple of well know American brands in the United Kingdom. The BBC reported today that DNA testing has shown that Taco Bell ground beef and Birds Eye "Traditional Spaghetti Bolognese and Beef Lasagne" contained more than 1% of horse, which is the level considered necessary to prove contamination. The tests were conducted by the Food Standards Agency (FSA), the British equivalent of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States.
A representative of Taco Bell said: "Once we learned of this issue, we immediately voluntarily tested our product for our three Taco Bell restaurants in the UK." There have not been any reports of horse meat mixed into in the US food supply and the food systems here are substantially separate from those of Europe. However, little to no DNA testing has been done on American ground meat, which often contains mixtures of animal products from Australia, Uruguay, Mexico and Canada.
This is the latest news of contamination since it was reported earlier this week that horse meat was found in Ikea meatballs produced in the Czech republic and sold across Europe.
- Horse Meat Found in IKEA Meatballs
- Unbelievable Horse Meat Infographic
- IKEA's Food Scandal Continues With Fecal Matter Found in Cakes
- Shocking Bribery Scandal in San Francisco
- Mario Batali Makes Shocking Statements
- IKEA Puts Meatballs Back on the Menu
- Horse Meat For Humans Potentially Coming Back
- IKEA Pulls More Food in the Midst of Horse Meat Scandal
- Taco Bell to Debut a Delicious Dessert Menu
- 989 People Arrested in Chinese Pork Scandal
- Peppers that will leave you stuffed
- Buckwheat and pork soup
- Potato, zucchini, red bell pepper, with bacon and herbs baked in a pot.
- Philadelphia Cheesesteak Easy
- Turkey soup with tomatoes and herbs.
- Tri-Color Pepper Pita Pizza With Armenian Basturma
- Arroz De Galinha (Reinvented)
- Vegan spicy sautéed mushrooms in 10 minutes.
- Pumpkin Crème Soup with Shrimp, Cream Cheese and Basil
- Orange Blossoms Shredded Pork With Capsicums