Chef Mark Dowling from LearnToCook.com created this tasty boozy peanut brittle recipe for St. Patrick's Day. Whip up a batch for the festivities this weekend!
Peanut Brittle with Irish Whiskey
Yields 5 pounds of brittle
4 C granulated sugar
1 pt. light corn syrup
8 oz. of Irish whiskey
4 oz. butter
5 C raw peanuts or nuts of choice
1 T Baking soda
Make sure to have a candy thermometer
Prepare ingredients by coarsely chopping the nuts and measuring all items exactly. Be sure baking soda is sifted so that there are no chunks.
Butter two cookie sheet. Set aside and reserve for the cooling of the brittle.
To make the brittle:
In a saucepan place the sugar, corn syrup, whiskey and butter. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring regularly to avoid scorching. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the pot.
Reduce heat to medium heat and continue simmering at a moderately steady rate until mixture reaches 275 degrees F; about 35 minutes. Stir frequently.
Once temperature reaches 275F, stir in the nuts and continue to cook over low heat. At this stage you want the nuts to reach 295 degrees F, known as the hard crack stage, this might take an additional 15 minutes. Be sure to not overcook!
Remove from heat and remove the thermometer as well.
While stirring constantly gradually add baking soda until well combined. Pour immediately onto the buttered sheet pans. Use two forks to lift up and separate the mixture as it cools.
Cool thoroughly overnight. Break up as desired, store in a closed container.
- Irish Inspired Moon Pies
- Thirsty Thursdays: Irish Car Bomb
- St. Patrick's Day Cake Pops
- Guinness Pretzel Truffles are a Bite-Sized St. Patty's Day Candy
- St. Paddy's Day Spud Cookies
- Vegan St. Patrick's Day Cake
- Lovely Leftovers: Corned Beef Quiche
- My Goodness My Guinness Cupcakes
- Cute Beer Mug Cupcakes
- Irish Comfort: Handheld Meat Pies
- Cocoa Stout Cupcakes
- Oatmeal, Apricot, Walnut Soda Bread
- Our gluten free version of Marion Cunningham's Irish Soda Bread
- Irish Soda Bread with Raisins
- Grasshopper Dessert Squares
- Creamy Irish Potato Stew
- Corned Beef And Cabbage With Irish Mustard Sauce
- Turkey Shephard's Pie Topped with a Two-Potato Souffle
- Corned Beef Ribs With Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze
- Slow Cooked Corned Beef and Cabbage