Elana Horwich, home cook and founder of Meal and a Speil, (pronounced ShPEEL) has channeled the best of her Grandmother’s recipes with a modern twist for your home Passover Sedar. Her Italian-inspired charoset recipe (prounouned cHa-roset) is the delicious chopped fruit, nut and wine mixture on the Passover seder table which symbolizes the mortar between the bricks that the Jews laid while slaves in Egypt 3,000 years ago. It cooks only long enough to meld the flavors together but still resulting in a crunchy charoset that won’t look like applesauce.
Moscato Spice Charoset
2 granny smith
1 ½ cup shelled walnuts
7 dried figs or 7 pitted prunes or a handful or raisins
8 pitted dates
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 orange, the juice and the zest
1 bottle of good Moscato (yes it will be a bit bubbly) There are many options for Kosher Moscato. Click here for a list.
Cut apples and pears into equal size large chunks.
Pulse in food processor until finely chopped, careful not to overdo it so they don’t become mushy. Put in a large bowl. (If you don’t have a food processor, this recipe can be a reminder of the times when we were slaves in Egypt. But the good news is, hand chopped food tasted better.)
Pulse the figs, prunes or raisins until thsy are finely chopped and add them to the apples.
Pulse the walnuts until they are finely chopped and add them to the fruit.
Zest the orange using a microplane grater, a zester or the small holes of a regular grater. Add to mixture.
Juice the orange into the food processor, along with the dates, cinnamon and cup of the moscato. Pulse until fully pureed.
Add to the fruit and nut mixture. Stir.
Add another cup of moscato to mixture and stir.
Put mixture into a cooking pot over medium heat until it reaches a boil. Then turn heat to low and let simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Put back into bowl and let cool mostly. Cover and put in fridge until ready for use.
Right before serving, add another “glug” of moscato to the charoset for a little freshen up.
- Perfect Passover Recipes: Moscato Spice Charoset
- Stop Everything And Make These Spring Onion And Cheddar Scones Right Now
- Complete Your Easter With These Amazing Cadbury Egg Doughnuts
- Nut Free Charoset for Passover
- 11 Easter-Themed Drinks To Spice Up Any Easter Party
- A Nice, Heavy Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Italian Easter Sweet Bread
- Savory Spinach Easter Pie
- Easter Bunny Monkey Bread
- Individual Potato Kugel
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Unstuffed Turkey Cabbage- Sans the Cabbage
- Greek Charoset
- A twist on soda bread, Irish Oat Scones
- Purple Potato Slaw
- Chicken With Grilled Onions and Sumac
- Island Haddock simmered in a spicey green curry sauce, inspired by P.E.I.
- Cooking Spice Blends: Olio Do Panne
- Matzo in a Wok
- Greek Easter bread