Genji Sushi shares their recipe for shrimp summer rolls, a popular menu item, with Foodista readers. Rice paper is filled with thin bean thread noodles, a variety of vegetables, and succulent shrimp. Serve these delicious summer rolls with sweet chili sauce.
Shrimp summer roll with Sweet Chili Sauce
Makes 8 rolls
1.5 oz dry bean thread noodles (about 1 small bundle, depending on brand)
1.5 oz red cabbage, finely shredded
1 oz carrot, shredded
1 scallion, thinly sliced
8 pieces round rice paper, plus a few extra in case some break
8-10 leaves of green leaf lettuce, about 4 oz, shredded
1.5 oz cucumber, julienned
1.5 oz red bell pepper, cut into 8 long strips
16 pieces cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and sliced in half lengthwise
sweet chili sauce (to serve)
Place the bean thread noodles in a bowl and pour hot water over them to cover. Allow the noodles to sit for about 10 minutes, until softened. Drain, then rinse with cold water to chill. Drain well, cut into approximately 2-3 inch pieces (it is easiest to do this with scissors).
Combine the noodles, red cabbage, shredded carrot, and sliced scallion in a bowl and toss to combine.
Fill a pie plate, cake pan, or other shallow dish larger than the diameter of the rice paper with warm water. Working with one piece at a time, dip the rice paper in the water until just softened, about 20-30 seconds. Let excess water drip off, then place on your work surface.
Leaving about an inch border on the sides and bottom, cover the bottom half of the rice paper with shredded lettuce. Roughly cover the lettuce with some of the noodle and vegetable mixture. Fold the side borders of the rice paper in over the filling. Take 2 shrimp halves and place them cut side up across the rice paper just above the lettuce and noodles. Next, place a strip of bell pepper, and 1/8th of the julienned cucumber across the shrimp, leaving some poking out on one side. Bring the bottom of the rice paper up, and roll the whole things tightly into a cylinder, keeping the edges tucked in. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Cut each summer roll in half and serve with Sweet Chili Sauce.
- 3 Must-Make Summer Rolls
- Radically Different Ramen Roll
- Must-Try Shrimp Pesto Pasta
- Awesome Avocado Egg Rolls
- Gluten-Free Mushroom Rice Paper Wraps
- Stir-Fried Shrimp and Noodles
- Quick and Easy Guacamole Egg Rolls
- Sizzling Sriracha Glazed Shrimp
- Four Fab Pestos for Meatless Monday
- Ginger and Garlic Grilled Shrimp
- Shrimp & Crab Egg Rolls
- Make It Quick Italian Shrimp Rolls
- Asian Fusion Appetizer: Salmon & Asian Pesto Packages
- Yuan Yang Crispy & Crunchy Hong Kong Kailan
- Apple, cinnamon and walnut rolls + cream cheese crispy rolls!
- Bread Machine Apple Breakfast Buns
- Chinese Chicken Salad With Chipotle Dressing
- Braised Pork Bellies With Abalone In Claypot
- Quick and Easy Scallop Pasta
- Shrimp Omelet