Dolsot bibimbap is a classic Korean dish of rice, sometimes meat (though not on Meatless Monday!), vegetables and egg that is served bubbling hot in a stone bowl known as a dolsot. Ingredients are piled onto rice that gets crisp from the near molten lava hot bowl, topped with spicy sauces and flavorful oil, then stirred up for a delicious meal. In this tasty version, tofu is marinated overnight in a sauce that is traditionally used on bulgogi beef.
Cook rice and keep warm
In sesame oil and a pinch of salt, sauté carrots and zucchini until almost tender. If necessary add a bit more sesame oil and toss in the remaining vegetables, garlic and a pinch of sugar and continue to sauté approximately 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are almost done (they will continue to cook in the dolsot or stone bowl)
Broil or barbecue the beef.
Pour 1/2 - 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in the base of each stone bowl. Divide rice between the 4 stone bowls. Arrange all ingredients on top of the rice side by side around the bowl. Put a teaspoon (or more depending on taste) of the Korean chili paste on top of the vegetables and in the middle of the bowl place an egg yolk. Pour a tablespoon of sesame seed oil around the edge of the bowl.
Place stone bowl on top of stove and on high heat leave for approximately 5 minutes or until you can hear the rice popping and crackling.
Remove from heat and serve. Be very careful as the stone bowl will be extremely hot.
- Meatless Monday: 5 Grilled Tofu Recipes
- Meatless Monday: Hot and Sour Soup
- Meatless Monday: Sweet and Sour Cauliflower with Pineapple
- Meatless Monday: Asian Chopped Salad with Fried Wontons
- Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Chow Mein
- Meatless Monday: Tofu Lemongrass Soup
- Meatless Monday: Peanut Tofu Lettuce Wraps
- Korean BBQ-Style Tofu with Ssamjang Sauce
- Meatless Monday: Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- Meatless Monday: Coconut Curry with Peppers, Bok Choi, and Tomatoes
- Vegetable Bibimbap
- Walnut Lentil Burgers with Tarragon
- Maeun Bulgogi 매운 불고기 (Spicy Korean Barbecue Beef)
- Yuan Yang Crispy & Crunchy Hong Kong Kailan
- Korean Bread
- Vegetarian Jajang Myeon (Noodles w Black Bean Sauce)
- Shrimp & Crab Egg Rolls
- Broccoli Chicken w Shrimp Stir Fry
- Butternut Squash and Zucchini Lasagna-Gluten free, Vegan
- Stuffed Delicata Squash - gluten free, vegan