There was one thing whisky distiller Taketsuru Masataka loved more than the spirit he brewed and that was the love of his life, Scottish-born Jessie Roberta Cowan. Taketsuru, the first Japanese to study the art of whisky distilling, arrived in Scotland in 1918. It was love at first sight when he and Jessie, who later became known as Rita, met. Despite opposition from both families, the couple married within a year and soon after returned to Japan.
A strong and modern woman, Rita mastered the Japanese language within months and worked hard to help support her husband while he continued the art of distilling. In 1923, she taught English and lived alone while Taketsuru went away to build his distillery. The Second World War was a difficult time for a Westerner living in Japan, and she was often seen as the "enemy." Nevertheless, at the end of the war Rita was one of the main architects in the reconciliation between Japan and the United Kingdom.
In 1952, Taketsuru changed the name of his distillery to Nikka Whisky. Throughout her life, Rita provided an enormous amount of support to her husband and was key in the development of Nikka. A popular figure in Japan, she is still remembered as one of the great founders of Nikka.
In 2001, Single Cask Yoichi 10 Year Old was voted "Best of the Best" by Whisky Magazine. In 2007 (as well as in 2009, 2010 and 2011), Taketsuru Pure Malt 21 Year Old was recognized as the "World's Best Blended Malt Whisky."
The Rita's Song cocktail pays homage to the great love affair of these two whisky icons.
Serve on 1-2 large ice cubes.
- Hair of the Dog: The Bloody Mary Story & Recipes
- Summer in the Park Whisky Cocktail
- Two discoveries-Spicebox Rye Whisky and Whiskey Disks- By: Warren Bobrow-Cocktail Whisperer
- The Whisky Advent Calendar Countdowns with Spirit Samples
- Brenne Whisky, Speakeasy (Employees Only) review and comments
- Alcohol Free Whisky Invented
- $200,000 Bottle of Whisky
- Scottish Plant Will Produce Electricity From Whisky By-Products
- First 100% Islay Whisky Produced
- Cold Weather Cocktail: Maple Whisky Hot Toddy
- Aunt Rita's Chocolate Cake
- Champagne Rita Cocktail
- Ceviche de Camarones – Shrimp Ceviche
- WITCHES BREW
- Brain Teaser
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- A sensational summer sip from Prince Edward Island, The "Eddy"
- A healthy twist on the Pina Colada
- Roasted Asparagus with Egg Salad
- Spicy Chipotle Couscous Salad