This Italian sandwich recipe features grilled vegetables that are layered and pressed within a crusty focaccia bread. Chill it, slice it and serve it up cold for lunch or dinner!
Italian Vegetable Pressed Sandwich
1 loaf focaccia bread, sliced in half horizontally
1 red pepper, stem and seeds removed and cut into eighths
2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
2 portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 sweet onion, such as Walla Walla, sliced
2-3 small yellow squash, cut lengthwise about 1/4-inch thick
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 475º F.
Slice focaccia in half lengthwise and set aside.
Layer a sheet pan with foil. Place sliced vegetables on the pan and drizzle with olive oil. Toss with hands so that the vegetable are evenly coated with oil. Spread even on the pan and cook for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and cooked through.
Remove vegetables from oven and allow to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the skin from the peppers and any charred pieces. Place onions in an even layer on the bottom half of the bread, top with the red peppers, then mushrooms, squash and finally the tomato. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and add the top piece of bread.
Press down on the sandwich and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Press under a heavy saucepan for at least a couple of hours or up to overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, unwrap the sandwich, cut into servings, and serve.
- 4 Vegetarian Recipes with a Pop of Pesto
- Excellent Eggplant Dishes for Meatless Monday
- Meatless Monday: Provençal Grilled Cheese
- Vegan Grilled Tomato, Basil & Pepper Jack Panini
- Meatless Monday: Caprese Sandwich
- Homemade Allergy Friendly Gnocchi
- 5 Must Try Olive Recipes
- Simple Sunday: Pasta with Chardonnay and Broccoli
- Avocado Pesto Pasta Salad and Other Summer Pasta Salads
- 5 Sensational Vegan Risottos