Grilled vegetable and pasta salad is a light and healthy Labor Day side dish. Fresh summer vegetables are charred on the grill and tossed with rigatoni (any tubular pasta would work) and a zesty garlic dressing. To increase the nutritional value of this salad, use whole wheat pasta. This salad gets better the longer it sits so try to make it ahead of time.
2 red and/or yellow sweet peppers
2 Japanese eggplants halved lengthwise
2 mediums zucchini or yellow summer squash halved lengthwise (or 8 to 10 yellow sunburst or pattypan squash) see * Note
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups dried tortiglioni or rigatoni
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon bottled roasted minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
3/4 cup cubed fontina cheese - (3 oz)
1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian parsley - (to 2)
Half sweet peppers lengthwise; remove and discard stems, seeds, and membranes. Brush sweet peppers, eggplants, and zucchini with the 1 tablespoon oil. To grill, place vegetables on the grill rack directly over medium-hot coals. Grill, uncovered, for 8 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender, turning occasionally. Remove vegetables from grill; cool slightly. Cut vegetables into 1-inch pieces.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar, olive oil, water, bottled roasted minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Cover and shake well.
Comments: Vegetables, sweet and smoky from the grill, give pasta and cheese a jolt of flavor and color. By doing the grilling ahead, and storing the savory dressing in the refrigerator, this flavor-filled dish is done in the time it takes to simmer pasta.
- Labor Day Sides: Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Charred Corn with Buffalo Honey Butter and Gorgonzola Cheese
- An Easy Labor Day Menu
- Classic Creamy Coleslaw for Labor Day
- Get Grilling: Delectable Desserts
- 5 Best Chicken Salad Recipes for Summer
- Plan the Perfect Picnic: Best Pasta Salad Recipes
- Celiac Saturdays: Best BBQ Sauces
- 10 Best Macaroni Salad Recipes
- Celiac Saturday: Gluten Free Franks
- Pasta Salad With Zucchini And Summer Squash Recipe
- Spatchcock Chicken & Turkey
- Garlicky Shrimp Pasta With Arugula Salad
- Savory Chicken Meatballs with Penne Pasta
- The Best Grilling Marinade Ever!
- Roasted Asparagus with Egg Salad
- Mocha Pecan Cheesecake on The Grill
- Chipotle Bacon Bombs on a Stick
- Ginger Orange Chicken
- Hickory Smoked Sirloin Steak