This bread combines a soft, Challa style with winter squash, resulting in a golden, rich bread that is a favorite for the holiday table.
Squash Braided Bread
1/3 cup warm milk
2 Tbsp warm water
1 package of yeast
1/4 tsp salt
Mix these together and let sit until it becomes frothy(this is proofing yeast, and I always do this step to be sure my yeast is still good).
1 cup cooked, blended squash(Pumpkin can be substituted)
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup soft butter
1 egg, room temperature
3 1/2 cup unbleached flour-keep a little extra on hand to add if needed. This amount varies with the humidity and type of flour.
You will end up with a soft dough, so flour your surface well and knead the dough until it is smooth.
Let rise, covered until doubled.
Punch down and divide into thirds
Stretch and roll each piece into about 18 inches long-not an exact science, just do the best you can.
Grease a cookie sheet and place the three ropes side by side onto the sheet.
Braid the ropes together, making sure to press and pinch the ends together so they stay.
Cover one more time, and let rise until doubled.
Bake 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
(I like to brush with egg white for a glossy finish, before baking)
Hope someone will try it this year!
- Must Try Butternut Squash and Cheddar Bread Pudding
- Wheatless Wednesday: Sweet Potato Buttermilk Rolls
- Gluten Free Perfect Pumpkin Desserts from Jules Shepard
- 5 Best Gluten Free Acorn Squash Recipes
- Spooky Savory Gluten Free Halloween Treats!
- 5 Must Try Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookie Recipes - Allergy Friendly
- Food Fight: Pumpkin or Pecan Pie? Both! Gluten Free
- 6 Sweet-Savory Cranberry Apricot Recipes
- Must Have Whole Grain Dinner Rolls
- Easy Entertaining: 3 Must-Try Gluten Free Appetizers
- Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque with Frangelico
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
- Ginger Pumpkin Muffins
- Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed W/spicy Biryani (Veg/vegan)
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Apple Stuffed Squash
- Soy-Braised Kabocha Squash
- Butternut Squash & Shrimp Bisque
- Aunt Marie’s Dinner Rolls