We love this dressed-up version of the classic pumpkin pie recipe. As reader Bertha Johnson puts it, " Plenty of pecans add a nutty crunch to both the pastry and the streusel topping. It's a perfect dessert for Thanksgiving or any time you want to end a dinner with something really special." We couldn't agree more! This recipe and a multitude of other American classics comes from Taste of Home Recipes Across America: 735 of the Best Recipes from Across the Nation. This recipe takes only 20 minutes to prepare and makes 2 pies!
Streusel Pumpkin Pie
Courtesy of Taste of Home
2 cups all-purpose flour ¼ cup finely chopped pecans 1 teaspoon salt ⅔ cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening 4 to 5 tablespoons water
For the filling:
1 can (30 ounces) pumpkin pie filling 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the streusel topping:
½ cup packed brown sugar ¼ cup all-purpose flour ¼ cup chopped pecans ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon 3 tablespoons cold butter
In a bowl, combine flour, pecans and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. Divide dough in half. Roll out each portion to fit a 9-in. pie plate; place pastry in pie plates. Flute edges and set aside.
Combine pie filling, milk and egg; pour into pastry shells. For topping, combine brown sugar, flour, pecans and cinnamon in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Cover edges of pastry loosely with foil.
Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Refrigerate until serving.
- Follow a Liquid Diet this Thanksgiving with Drinkable Apple Pie
- Decadent Desserts: No Bake Turtle Pumpkin Pie, Gluten Free
- Must-Make Handheld Pumpkin Pies
- Pumpkin Pie Shots is an Efficient Way to Get Your Filling
- Food Fight: Pumpkin or Pecan Pie? Both! Gluten Free
- Stress-Free Pumpkin Pie and Other Easy Thanksgiving Desserts
- How to Avoid a Cracked Pumpkin Pie
- Gluten Free Pecan Pie 3 Ways
- Gluten Free Vegan Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Pie vs. Pecan Pie