This easy retro dessert known as an Apple Betty takes only 15 minutes to prepare and has the spicy, make-you-feel-good flavors of fall. Don't wait until the holidays to make this tasty treat topped with almond cream. This comforting fall classic is one the whole family will love! Find this an other classic American recipes in Taste of Home's newest cookbook Taste of Home Recipes Across America: 735 of the Best Recipes from Across the Nation
Apple Betty with Almond Cream
Courtesy of Taste of Home
3 pounds tart apples, peeled and sliced
10 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed
¾ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
⅛ teaspoon salt
For the almond cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream 2 tablespoons sugar 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel ½ teaspoon almond extract
Place apples in an ungreased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the bread, brown sugar, butter, extract, cinnamon, cardamom and salt; spoon over apples. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until apples are tender.
In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar, lemon peel and extract; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with apple mixture.
- Mini Banana Splits
- Retro Dessert Round Up
- 4th of July Menu: Red White and Blue Through and Through!
- 5 Rockin' Retro Desserts
- Old School Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 5 Amazing Apple Recipes
- Classic American Apple Pie
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole 5 Ways
- Easter Brunch: Caramel Apple French Toast
- Apple Brown Betty
- Baked Alaska
- Peach Baked Alaska
- Apple, cinnamon and walnut rolls + cream cheese crispy rolls!
- Easy Apple, Pear and Pomegranate Tart
- Bread Machine Apple Breakfast Buns
- Apple Prune Brown Betty
- Healthy Fall Dessert: Baked apples with walnuts, honey and cinnamon.
- Old Fashion Bread Pudding
- Barbecue Pork Buns – Dim Sum