This sweet and savory marmalade is the perfect pairing with a sharp Spanish Manchego cheese. It's an easy appetizer that will get wows from your holiday guests, especially when served with nice chilled Fino Sherry.
Manchego with Gordal Olives and Meyer Lemon Marmalade
Courtesy of Ethan Stowell and Olives from Spain
This dish was served as part of a multi-course olive-themed tasting menu at How to Cook a Wolf restaurant in Seattle. Get all the delicious recipes here!
½ pound Gordal olives, pitted and quartered
1 pound quartered and de-seeded Meyer lemons, about 12
1 pound sugar
1 pound water
Cut the Meyer lemon quarters into ½ inch slices and place in a high-sided pot that can easily hold them. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Strain the lemons after they come to a boil, and then repeat the boiling and straining process—this helps get the bitterness out of the lemons.
After the second boiling and straining, place the pound of sugar and the pound of water in the pot with the lemons. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Continue to cook on low heat for about 2 hours, or until the mixture has taken on a very thick consistency. Do not let the sugar caramelize—if the sugar starts to brown, add a couple tablespoons of water. Once you have achieved the correct consistency, add the olives and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Cool and store in your refrigerator until ready to use.
Serve with Manchego cheese.
- Gluten Free Stuffed Mushrooms 3 Ways
- Rack of Lamb with Artichokes Roasted with Gordal Olives and Mint
- Scary Good Black Foods for Halloween
- Sunday Supper: Tuscan Turkey Pumpkin Soup
- Perfect Petite Pumpkin Cream Puffs
- 5 Fabulous Foie Gras Recipes
- Hassel-Free Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
- Cupcake Stuffing is a Basting Baker's Ideal Thanksgiving Feast
- 6 Sweet-Savory Cranberry Apricot Recipes
- Last Minute Vegan Gluten Free Desserts
- Manchego and Membrillo
- Bacon Wrapped Dates with Manchego, Romesco Sauce
- pesto + manchego + marcona almond
- Savory Chard & Prosciutto Tart
- Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie
- Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque with Frangelico
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce
- Fall Farro Salad with Pomegranate, Walnut & Truffles
- Cranberry Marsala Marinade
- Aunt Marie’s Dinner Rolls