Soup is the meal of the season and in Maggie Stuckey's new book, Soup Night, she shares 90 delicious recipes to prepare throughout the year. The tradition of a "soup night" began as a way for people to get together and share a meal. This potluck style gathering would consist of a couple pots of soup along with some other sides. Stuckey's soup recipes are tailored to this kind of event - neighbors, family, and friends sitting around a table and slurping down something hearty and delicious. Pumpkin chicken chowder is perfect for the fall season because it's simple, fast and a great way to use up Thanksgiving leftovers.
Pumpkin Chicken Chowder
Leftover turkey would also work in this recipe — delicious and quick.
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups chicken broth
2 (16-ounce) cans pumpkin purée
1 cup frozen corn
⅔ cup uncooked rice
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the chicken, onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté until the chicken is no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add the broth, pumpkin, corn, rice, basil, salt, and pepper. Stir well and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Excerpted from Soup Night (c) Maggie Stuckey, photography (c) Lara Ferroni, used with permission from Storey Publishing.
- Chicken Corn Chowder in the Slow Cooker
- Chicken, Corn, and Green Chile Chowder
- Amazing Buffalo Chicken Chowder
- Easy Weeknight Meal: Chicken, Potato and Corn Chowder
- Pina Colada Chicken Salad and Other Sensational Chicken Salad Recipes
- Crack Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Light and Healthy: Chicken Paillard with Lemon Salad
- Funky Chicken Friday: Chinese Chicken Salad with Chipotle Dressing
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Quick and Easy Recipe: Avocado Chicken Salad
- Quick and Easy Cream of Chicken Chowder
- Pumpkin Carrot Soup
- Game Night Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Pumpkin Crème Soup with Shrimp, Cream Cheese and Basil
- Chicken Chowder
- Pumpkin, celery root and carrot salad
- Chicken-Corn Chowder
- Chicken-Vegetable Chowder
- Chicken Gizzard and Corn Chowder
- Chicken, Corn & Green Chile Chowder