With Thanksgiving coming up, you're probably thinking about what wines go with that turkey. But there's also a sweet world of wines that pair wonderfully with classic pumpkin pie, or these spins on the iconic holiday dessert ingredient.
With all that caramel and pecans, try a really nice Madeira. And not the cooking stuff you find on the bottom shelf of the grocery store. Look for one made from the Malmsey grape. It's a nut-loving sweet wine that has a surprisingly refreshing finish, so you can continue eating more pie! Madeira has a fascinating history and surprising versatility, too. Learn more about Madeira.
A classic dessert and sweet wine pairing is crisp biscotti and Vin Santo from Tuscany. And since this cake is loaded with gingersnaps, give this traditional cookie and wine pairing a fun, decadent spin. I'd also recommend Vinsanto from the Greek Island of Santorini. What's the difference between the two?
Since we're in a chocolate-free zone, go for a late harvest white wine. Whatever it's made from (Riesling is popular), the grapes get extra sweetness from hanging on the vines for a very long time. The resulting wine will have golden color, significant richness, and a lingering finish that will be lovely with the caramel.
One of the bonuses of sweet wines is that they stay good in the bottle a lot longer than dry wines. So while leftover dessert may not last more than a day, you'll be able to enjoy dessert wine throughout the season.
Jameson Fink has been working in the wine industry and blogging about wine since 2004. Saveur Magazine nominated his site, jamesonfink.com, for a 2013 Best Food Blog Award in the Wine/Beer Category. He is a tireless advocate for year-round rosé consumption and enjoys a glass of Champagne alongside a bowl of popcorn.
- Decadent Desserts: No Bake Turtle Pumpkin Pie, Gluten Free
- Last Minute Vegan Gluten Free Desserts
- Gluten Free Vegan Bourbon Pumpkin Pie
- Food Fight: Pumpkin or Pecan Pie? Both! Gluten Free
- Gluten Free Pecan Pie 3 Ways
- 5 Quick and Easy Thanksgiving Dessert Ideas
- Follow a Liquid Diet this Thanksgiving with Drinkable Apple Pie
- 5 Stunning Thanksgiving Cranberry Desserts
- 5 Perfect Pavlova for Gluten Free Holiday Entertaining
- Must-Make Handheld Pumpkin Pies
- Apple, cinnamon and walnut rolls + cream cheese crispy rolls!
- Fresh Fig Cake With Amaretto Fig Compote And 2 Great Dessert Wines
- Sweet and Tart Lemon Bars
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cups
- Choco-Coco-Banana Cake
- Poached Pears
- Pumpkin Empanada
- Ginger Snap Pumpkin Icebox Cake
- Blueberry Cookie Crumb Bars
- Eggs With Ham and Asparagus Casserole