This delicious gravy gets its wonderful depth of flavor from roasted garlic and parsnips. It's a little savory, a little sweet and a whole lot of healthy. You can make this in advance and simply reheat for serving.
Roasted Garlic and Parsnip Vegan Gravy
Courtesy of Whole Foods Market
Makes 2 cups
1 large bulb garlic
1 medium (3 1/2-ounce) parsnip, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1/3 cup blanched slivered almonds
1 1/4 cup mushroom broth (made from mushroom bouillon/base) or vegetable broth
4 teaspoons liquid aminos (such as Bragg)
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut garlic head in half horizontally to expose cloves. Wrap securely in a square of aluminum foil and place on an oven rack. Roast until cloves are golden and very soft, about 1 hour. Cool slightly, and then unwrap and squeeze garlic flesh from papery white husk. (You should have about 3 tablespoons.)
Meanwhile, place parsnip in a small baking pan lined with parchment paper and roast until soft and browned, about 30 minutes, stirring once or twice during roasting. Place almonds in a blender, pour in 1/2 cup boiling water and let soak 30 minutes.
Add garlic, parsnip, broth, aminos, thyme and pepper to the blender. Blend until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium saucepan and cook at a bare simmer 2 to 3 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Add more broth or water if gravy is too thick.
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- 5 Must Try Gluten Free Pumpkin Cookie Recipes - Allergy Friendly
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Port & Pears
- Spooky Savory Gluten Free Halloween Treats!
- Last Minute Vegan Gluten Free Desserts
- Vegan Recipe Roundup: 5 Fall Favorites
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- Must Try Apple Cider Roasted Carrots with Rosemary
- Gluten Free + Allergy Friendly Thanksgiving Desserts