Dal Bukara (or dal mahani) is a classic Mughlai dish of Northern India. This rich and creamy lentil recipe, known as dal, is typically cooked in a giant pot overnight, but My Creative Flavors created this quicker and easier version while still maintaining its true flavors and texture. Her secret to an exquisite and exotic dal is to simmer with tomato puree and freshly made garam masala, a fragrant combination of bay leaves, cloves, pepper corn, black cardamom, cinnamon, cumin. Click here for her flaky roti recipe.
Dal Bukhara With Khasta Missi Roti (Black Lentil Dal with Flaky Roti)
Submitted to Foodista by My Creative Flavors
1 cup Maah ki dal or Black Lentils
4 cups Water
2" piece Ginger
A few cloves Garlic
Handful of Fenugreek/cilantro
1 teaspoon Salt, chilli: or to taste
1 teaspoon Chaat masala
1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
1 teaspoon Fresh Garam masala
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
Butter for serving
2 teaspoons Cooking Oil
Wash and soak the lentils in warm water at least for 2 hours.
In a pressure cooker add water, beans, salt and cook for 20 minutes on low heat till beans are tender.
In a nonstick pan, saute chopped onions, tomatoes, freshly grated ginger and garlic, fenugreek and cilantro.
Add seasoning of salt, chilli powder to taste.
Puree the mix (tadka) to make a smooth paste (this tadka can be made ahead and added to boiled lentils).
Add this masala to cooked lentils and simmer for another 15-20 minutes (Preferably add garam masala).
Add some cream to get the silky consistency and rich brown color.
Serve hot with few ginger julliens and a dollop of butter.
- Easiest Ever Gluten Free Lentil Fennel Artichoke Salad
- Indian Yellow Dal With Spicy Tempered Ghee
- Meatless Monday: Greek Lentil Soup
- Fresh and Simple Lentil Salad
- Meatless Monday: Vegan Butternut Squash and Lentil Pot Pie
- Thrifty Thursday: One Pot Lentil and Summer Veggies
- Thrifty Thursday-Lentil Veggie Stew
- Super Simple-Black Olive and Heirloom Tomato Tapenade
- Fall Comfort: Acorn Squash with Pistachios, Black Bread and Apples
- Wheatless Wednesday, Nom Nom Black Bean Brownies