China rejected a 60,000 ton shipment of American corn because it included genetically modified grain. A special variety developed by Syngenta called MIR162, was detected in the shipment.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the U.S. is the world's largest corn exporter, and China is our number 3 customer.
For more on this, see the original piece at LA Times Business:
- Australia's GMO Secret
- Kenya Buying GM Maize Flour
- Nothing Is Sacred - A GM Apple
- US Ends Opposition to GM Labeling
- GMO Consumers Have a Right to Know
- Hungary Gives Monsanto a Smack Down
- GM Sweetcorn On The Way
- Germany Approves GM Potato Trial
- If Animals Won't Eat Genetically Modified Corn, Why Do We?
- CNN: Monsanto's Corn Crop Pain