Looking for a holiday cookie recipe that's delicious but on the lighter side? Reach for these yummy Fat Free Gingerbread Cookies from Munchin with Munchkin. They're full of tasty goodness like candied ginger and chai spice but leave out the butter! They're so good you'll never know the fat is missing. Shh, we won't tell if you won't.
Fat Free Gingerbread Cookies
Submitted to Foodista by Munchin with Munchkin
Makes about 20 cookies
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. fresh ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground allspice
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
¼ cup apple sauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. maple extract
1 Tbsp. chai concentrate (optional)
2 large egg whites
½ cup candied ginger
½ cup granulated sugar (for coating)
1 tsp. cinnamon (for coating)
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine brown sugar, molasses, apple sauce, vanilla extract, maple extract, chai concentrate. Beat with an electric mixer for about four minutes, until smooth. Add egg whites and beat for another minute until well combined.
Slowly whisk in dry ingredients and beat until completely incorporated. Stir in candied ginger. Chill dough for at least one hour. (I chilled mine overnight)
Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or grease with cooking spray.
Combine granulated sugar with cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Scoop one tablespoon of cookie dough and place in the shallow bowl. Using your hands, coat the dough with the cinnamon sugar and shape into balls.
Place cookie dough on prepared cookie sheet leaving about 3 inches between each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Remove from oven and transfer to a rack to cool.
- 6 Sweet-Savory Cranberry Apricot Recipes
- Cooking + Drinking - 5 Must Try Gluten Free Brandy Recipes
- Gluten Free Vegan Dark Chocolate Chipotle Cake
- 5 Perfect Pavlova for Gluten Free Holiday Entertaining
- Christmas Tree Cupcake Tutorial
- Last Minute Vegan Gluten Free Desserts
- Decadent Desserts: No Bake Turtle Pumpkin Pie, Gluten Free
- Eggnog Marshmallows are a Poisonous Puff
- Personalized Christmas Ornament Cookies
- 3 Must Try Gluten Free Cranberry Candies - Cranberry Craze Pt 3
- Christmas Rainbow Cookies
- Healthy and Easy Vegan beets salad with prunes!
- Yummy - Snickerdoodles
- Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
- Butter Pecan Ice Box Cookies
- Chocolate Orange Shortbread
- Chocolate Chip Almond Biscotti
- The Ultimate Holiday Cookie
- Ode To A Holiday Cookie
- Pretty Aspen Snowflake Potato Chip Cookies