We love Indian food but our hips and thighs often cringe at one commonly included ingredient: ghee, or clarified butter. Fortunately The Wanderlust Kitchen created this butter-free, low fat chicken curry recipe that is both family and diet approved! This creamy chicken dish is full of all the wonderful flavors of India - cardamom, turmeric, cumin, curry, garam masala, coriander, and more. For the most flavorful chicken, marinate overnight. But if you're short on time there are enough wonderful flavors in this dish to make it all in one shot.
Indian Chicken Korma
Submitted to Foodista by The Wanderlust Kitchen
[For the Chicken Marinade]
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp mild yellow curry powder
2 tbsp garam masala
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
[For the Sauce]
2 white onions, peeled
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 c. water
3 large tomatoes, diced small
2 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger root
1/2 c. ground almonds (food processor works great)
1 c. coconut milk
1 1/2 c. plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 small red chili, de-seeded and minced (I used dried, but fresh works, too)
2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
4 tsp. mild yellow curry powder
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground coriander seed
2 tsp. garam masala
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
Drizzle the chicken with the oil and sprinkle on the spices, salt and pepper. Massage into the meat and cover, leaving to marinate for at least a couple of hours or overnight.
Grill the chicken until fully cooked but not dried out. Set aside.
For the sauce begin by pureeing together: 2 white onions , 6 cloves garlic, 1 cup water.
In a large saucepan heat 3 tbsp olive oil (or ghee if you prefer).
Add the pureed onion mixture and cook over medium heat for a few minutes stirring constantly. Add: tomatoes, ginger, ground almonds, coconut milk, yogurt, red chili, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, curry powder, nutmeg, salt, pepper, ground coriander, garam masala, cloves, cumin, and brown sugar.
Simmer slowly for about 30-40 minutes then add the chicken and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Serve with steamed jasmine rice and/or naan.
- Meatless Monday: Vegetable Korma
- Madhur Jaffrey's Easy Chicken Korma
- Grilled Mojito Chicken Bowls with Quinoa
- Simple British Spring Pot Chicken Recipe
- Must Try! Chicken Under a Brick
- Hungry Girl HOT Boneless Chicken Wings
- Fresh Friday Garlic Herb Roasted Chicken
- Peanuty Chicken Summer Rolls
- Grain-Free Chicken Parmesan
- Spicy Singapore-Style Chicken Fried Rice
- Chicken Korma
- Fusion Korma Chicken with Coriander, Feta and Yams
- My Chicken Korma
- Indian Chicken Korma
- Savory Chicken Meatballs with Penne Pasta
- Tequila Laced Mexican Rice and Chicken
- Game Night Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Baked Chicken Breasts Stuffed With Wild Rice
- Pumpkin Banana Protein Oat Bars
- Asian Chicken and Broccoli With Chili Garlic Sauce