Think rice pudding is boring? We bet this cardamom-saffron rice pudding recipe will change your mind -- and you can make it in your slow cooker, allowing the fragrant spices to gently infuse tender grains of rice.
8 cups of whole milk
1 cup sugar
1 cup rice – wash very well
A pinch of salt
generous pinch of saffron
3 Cardamom – you could use either the powdered version or make your own by grinding the seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla
Cashews and raisins – sautéed in ghee or butter
Soak the saffron strands in 2 teaspoons of lukewarm milk.
Mix together the milk, rice and sugar into the slow cooker.
Cook on high for one hour and then on low for about 6 hours or more.
Stir to ensure the rice is not sticking to the pan or clumping, but do this no more than once or twice as you are not supposed to open a slow cooker too many times during the cooking process.
The rice may seem whole and lumpy but once you stir the mixture, it will break down well.
About half an hour or even an hour before removing, add the saffron, cardamom powder and vanilla essence. Mix well. Add in the cashews and raisins.
It turns a nice caramel color, although you can stop cooking it when it starts turning pink. If it’s very thick, thin it out with some milk before serving.
- How to Make Slow Cooker Rice Pudding
- Crazy Good Slow Cooker Eggplant with Yogurt and Saffron
- Incredibly Moist, Rich Slowcooker Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Slow Cooker Apple Crisp
- National Rice Pudding Day: Coconut Rice Pudding with Mango
- Gluten Free Foodie Friday: 5 Must Try Recipes
- Awesome Autumn Applesauce
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- The New Indian Slow Cooker + Spiced Rice with Potatoes and Peas
- Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- Not Your Mama’s Rice Pudding : The Lazy Girl's Slow Cooker Kheer/ Rice Pudding
- Hearty and Healthy; Steak, Mushroom and Rice Stew
- Crock Pot Rice Pudding
- The Lazy Girl's Slow Cooker Rice Pudding
- Slow Cooker 15 Bean and Ham Hock Soup
- Slow Cooker Dim Sum Pulled Pork & Sweet Sesame Snap Peas
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Sholeh Zard: Saffron Infused Rice Pudding
- KESARI KHEER AUR POODA (SAFFRON INFUSED RICE PUDDING WITH SWEETENED WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES)
- SAFFRON INFUSED RICE PUDDING WITH SWEETENED WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES