Warm up with the flavors of the Caribbean with this tasty Trinidadian potato and chicken curry from Munchin with Munchkin. With a spicy kick from scotch bonnet chilies this curry is sure to heat you up from head to toe! It's packed with an abundance of flavorful spices and fresh herbs that will make your palate sing. For a milder version, use a less potent pepper such as jalapeño.
Trinidadian Chicken and Potato Curry
Submitted to Foodista by Munchin with Munchkin
2 lbs chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
½ yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 Tsp. fresh thyme
1 Tsp. scotch bonnet pepper sauce
¼ Tsp. powdered ginger
¼ tsp. curry powder
1 Tsp. coconut oil
1 Tsp. cilantro, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ yellow onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ Tbsp. curry powder
1 Tsp. amchar masala
½ Tsp. cumin
½ Tsp. salt
1 cup of water
2 potatoes, cut into large cubes
Wash and pat dry chicken thighs. In a sealable container, combine all marinade ingredients. Toss chicken in marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
In a Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté until tender. Add garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant.
Sprinkle onions and garlic with curry powder and stir to evenly coat. Add 1 tablespoon of water and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
Add chicken and marinade. Sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
If you want a thick curry add potatoes now, otherwise set aside.
Sprinkle chicken with amchar masala, cumin and salt. Toss to coat. Pour in one cup of water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 20 minutes. If you reserved the potatoes for a thinner curry, add them to the pot after twenty minutes.
Continue to simmer for an additional twenty minutes until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F and potatoes are cooked through.
Serve warm with roti or rice.
- Two Must-Make Mexican Breakfasts: Chilaquiles Rojos and Migas con Huevos
- Must-Make Scrambled Egg-Stuffed Poblano Chiles With Spicy Cheese Sauce
- Grilled Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- Around the World in Curry
- Thirsty Thursdays: Mama-jito
- Quick and Easy Cuban Black Beans and Rice
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Soup Will Transport You to The Caribbean
- Gluten-Free Spicy Plantain Chips
- Gluten-Free Empanadas with Mango Salsa
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Mexican Black Bean and Spice-Rubbed Tofu Torta with Puerto Rican inspired Tostones
- Smoky Chicken Tacos
- Jamaican Curried Chicken
- Trinidadian Chicken Potato Curry
- Jamaican Curry Chicken
- Pollo Guisado – Puerto Rican Braised Stewed Chicken
- Tequila Laced Mexican Rice and Chicken
- Tortillas With Beef and Mexican Cabbage Salad
- Aarti’s Green Minty Curry Chicken
- Mexican Baked Eggs