Crispy coconut tofu fries will satisfy vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. This Asian inspired appetizer has a crunchy coconut crust paired with soft and creamy tofu interior. These fries are served alongside a spicy apricot sauce that brings the whole dish home. You can also serve with peanut sauce.
Crispy Coconut Tofu Fries with Spicy Apricot Sauce
For Tofu Fries:
1 (14 oz.) House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Extra Firm or Super Firm, drained
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. finely grated lime zest
2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
2/3 cup shredded coconut
For the Spicy Apricot Sauce:
½ cup apricot jam
¼ cup fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. Sriracha
¼ tsp. salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick baking spray.
Slice tofu crosswise into 4 slabs. Line a plate with several layers of paper towels, arrange tofu in a single layer on the plate, cover with more paper towels, and then top with a second plate weighed down by a heavy pot and set aside for about 15 minutes to dry out. Then slice tofu slabs into 1/2” sticks.
Beat together eggs, salt, pepper and lime zest in shallow dish.
Mix panko and coconut in second shallow dish.
Dip tofu in egg mixture, turning to coat, and then toss in breading mixture pressing gently to help coating adhere.
Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crisp and golden, flipping the fries after 15 minutes.
While the fries bake, make the sauce by melting the apricot jam with the lime juice, sriracha and salt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Transfer to a bowl.
Serve the fries hot, with the warm sauce for dipping.
Editorial disclosure: Foodista received no payment for this post.
- Tamari Tofu and Other Tantalizing Tofu Recipes
- Tantalizing Tofu Coconut Curry with Peanut Butter and Noodles
- Agedashi Tofu: Deep-Fried Tofu in Broth
- Meatless Monday Recipe: Vietnamese Noodle Salad With Tofu
- Meatless Monday: 5 Grilled Tofu Recipes
- Sweet and Spicy Honey Sriracha Tofu
- DIY Tofu Making Kit
- Meatless Monday Recipe: Brown Rice Bowl with Seared Tofu, Herbs and Avocado Cream
- Meatless Monday: Tofu Lemongrass Soup
- Poppin' Peanut and Tofu Noodles