This healthy and easy Japanese soup recipe is sure to take the winter chill off! It's gluten-free, low-fat and is easily made vegan if you swap out the fish for tofu. Garnish with edamame, green onions, cilantro and bean sprouts for a meal that is satisfying, tasty and fresh!
Miso, Fish and Rice Stick Noodle Soup
Submitted to Foodista by The Weiser Kitchen
6 cups low-sodium Mushroom Stock or Roasted Vegetable Stock or low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups fish stock or water
¼ cup red miso
2 tablespoons sake (rice wine)
2 teaspoons gluten-free soy sauce
¼ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 package (8 ounces) of rice sticks or another Japanese noodle (see Kitchen Tips)
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
1 pound monkfish fillet (or other white fish such as cod or rockfish), cut into 1-inch chunks
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons chopped scallions, white and greens parts (about 2 scallions)
1 packet (½ ounce) nori cut into slivers (about ¼ cup), preferably Eden brand nori strips
½ cup fresh bean sprouts, well rinsed
1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
Dash red hot sesame oil (optional)
Pour the mushroom or vegetable broth and fish stock into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the miso, sake, soy sauce, and white pepper. Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir.
Pour the rice sticks into a large mixing bowl. Pour in enough very hot water to cover and set aside until they are pliable. Drain. If you are using udon or soba noodles, prepare according to the package directions and drain. Set aside the noodles until you are ready to add them to the soup.
Add the edamame to the soup pot and return to a simmer. Add the softened noodles and simmer for 2 minutes longer.
Add the monkfish pieces and stir very gently. Cover the pot and cook for 1 minute or until the fish is just barely cooked.
Serve hot in individual bowls. Pass the cilantro, scallions, nori, bean sprouts, lime wedges, and sesame oil in a small bowls to share around the table and let each person garnish the soup according to his or her taste.
- 3 Easy Creamy Chicken Soups for Fall
- Satisfying Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- 30 Minute Vegetarian Ramen for Meatless Monday
- 5 More Satisfying Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Easy Chinese Corn and Shrimp Soup
- Thai Inspiration for Meatless Monday
- 2 Super Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Coconut and Shrimp Thai Noodle Soup in a Mug
- 5 Copycat Chicken Recipes for Your Favorite Restaurant Dishes
- Must See: Sweet and Spicy Bok Choy Soup
- Tasty Flower Crab Soup
- Turkey soup with tomatoes and herbs.
- Pumpkin Crème Soup with Shrimp, Cream Cheese and Basil
- Yuan Yang Crispy & Crunchy Hong Kong Kailan
- Miso, Fish and Rice Stick Soup
- Soup with meatballs, mushrooms,spaghetti and cheese
- Buckwheat and pork soup
- Roasted Asparagus with Egg Salad
- Fresh Tarragon and Lentil Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad With Chipotle Dressing