We love the tangy versatility of rhubarb in both sweet dishes and savory. This scrumptious and moist upside-down cake recipe showcases rhubarb in all its sweet and tart glory! It’s the perfect dessert to serve for Easter or any springtime brunch. Top it with freshly whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream for extra yumminess.
Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
Courtesy of Taste of Home
3 cups cubed fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch, about 8 stalks)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is crisp-tender, stirring to dissolve
sugar. Drain, reserving 6 tablespoons cooking liquid.
Pour butter into an 8-in.-square baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar; top with drained rhubarb. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice.
In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in extract and reserved cooking liquid. Fold in flour mixture. Pour over rhubarb. Bake 35-40 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
- A Nice, Heavy Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Stop Everything And Make These Spring Onion And Cheddar Scones Right Now
- Carrot Cake Cookies are a Easter Treat
- Complete Your Easter With These Amazing Cadbury Egg Doughnuts
- Thirsty Thursdays: Carrot Cake Cocktail
- Carrot Cake Truffles
- 11 Easter-Themed Drinks To Spice Up Any Easter Party
- Six Layer Chocolate Coconut Peeps Cake is the Ultimate Easter Dessert
- Amazing Bunny Cake Pops for Easter
- Easter Chick Cake Pops Hatched Just in Time for Easter
- Cranberry Pecan Pumpkin Upside-Down Cake
- Rhubarb Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- Pear and Ginger Upside-Down Cake
- Peach Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- Banana Upside-Down Cake
- Spiced Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake
- Pear Upside-Down Ginger Cake
- Raspberry Upside-Down Cake
- Peach and Pecan Upside-Down Cake
- Pineapple Madeira Upside-Down Cake