Spring has made it's chilly, wet appearance, and we are all sighing with relief that food doesn't have to come from the freezer for the next few months. If you are eating seasonally, it's always good to know what might be available at the farmer's market.
This week, find asparagus, broccoli, cucumbers, peas, rhubarb, and zucchini. Some of these delicious offerings are early, but with a greenhouse, it's just fun to have something growing a few weeks earlier than everyone else. Check out some of the ideas for cooking these early seasonal items:
Submitted by Foodista member: Rosemary Mullally
Elegant beyond words, this beautiful White Asparagus Flan, is full of the flavors of spring. White asparagus is mild flavored, and certainly lovely to look at in this pretty brunch food. Seasonal asparagus abounds, make something like this with it!
Submitted by Foodista member: Gypsy696
Proving that cucumbers aren't just for pickling, this lettuce, apple, and cucumber salad is a great way to have a healthy start to your summer meal. Of course, any cukes that are ready this early in the year, just a few weeks in the greenhouse would have given them a chance to jump before planting in the garden. Enjoy this juicy quintessential summer food offering.
Submitted by an Anonymous Foodista member
Rhubarb makes a fantastic dessert. There is something about that sweet/tart flavor that leaves you wanting more. This Rhubarb Sorbet is a nice change from all the baked goods. We love it because it makes a refreshing finish to grilled meals. It's a real winner.
- Seasonal Eating: Rhubarb Cake
- Seasonal Eating: Strawberry Rhubarb Shortcakes
- Seasonal Eating: Grandma B's Rhubarb Cake
- Seasonal Eating: When Is Rhubarb Ripe?
- Seasonal Eating: Strawberry Cucumber Refresher
- Seasonal Eating: Rhubarb Syrup
- Seasonal Eating: Cinnamon Sugar Fried Apples
- Seasonal Eating: Green Bean and Tomato Salad With Creamy Garlic Dressing
- Seasonal Eating: Spring Leek Soup
- Rockin' Rhubarb Delights
- Radish, Cucumber & Chive Salad
- Peas with Pancetta & Shallot
- CHICK PEA, EDAMAME, AND CUCUMBER SALAD
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Sticky Rhubarb Sriracha-glazed Chicken Wings
- Vanilla & Orange-infused Rhubarb Crumble
- Rhubarb Peel Syrup
- Strawberry Rhubarb Dump Cake
- Velvety Peas and Radishes
- Cucumber Salad With Rice Wine Vinegar