Do you love serving cheese and crackers for a light summer dinner? How about wowing your guests (or family), by making your own summer sausage? It's far tastier than anything you can buy, with all ingredients being easy to pronounce and recognize. Good stuff!
This summer sausage is delicious, and the recipe makes enough to serve at a small gathering. We love it on a platter with fresh cucumber slices and a sharp cheese. The crackers could even be homemade, if you are feeling particularly adventurous.
This recipe is from the book; Fermenting for Dummies, by Marni Wasserman, and Foodista Editor, Amy Jeanroy. It's a great way to bring some interesting flavors into your whole foods diet.
Submitted by Amy Jeanroy
2 pounds ground beef
2 Tbsp Morton's Tender Quick Salt
1 tsp liquid smoke
1.2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup cold water
1. Mix all the ingredients well and place the mixture in the refrigerator for 12 hours. Remove from the refrigerator and remix. Divide the cold mixture in half and shape into logs.
2. Wrap each log tightly with foil. Place the logs in the refrigerator to cure for up to 4 days. Poke several holes in the foil to allow excess fat to drain away.
3. Place the sausage in a broiler pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. You can eat this freeze it for up to 3 months.
- How to Make Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties
- Mother's Day Brunch Recipe: Sausage and Red Pepper Quiche
- Beautiful Brunch: Italian Sausage and Cheese Frittata
- Friday Fun Links: Gluten Free Week-in Review
- What's for Breakfast: Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- Sausage Egg and Cheese Breakfast Cups
- Quick and Easy Andouille Sausage and Potato Hash
- 8 Ways To Spice Up Your Homemade Juice Creations
- Mother's Day Brunch: Sausage Stuffed Waffles
- How To Make Homemade Corned Beef
- Grilled Rosemary Skewers of Steak Wrapped in Pancetta & Sausages
- Eggs With Ham and Asparagus Casserole
- Cheesy Egg and Potato Pie
- Cajun Seafood and Andouille Sausage Gumbo
- Crazy Dutch Babies
- Toffee Sausages with Tomato and apple sauce
- Mexican Baked Eggs
- Creamy Egg and Vegetable Muffins
- Healthy Eggs Benedict
- Pasta Salad With Zucchini And Summer Squash Recipe