Quick and easy dinners don’t always have to be cooked in the kitchen. We love summer because we can cook (and eat!) outside, which means little or no clean-up in the kitchen. These healthy and easy vegetable kebabs (skewers) take just minutes to assemble, grill up in no time, and the whole family will love them. And, they’re so colorful they make a lovely presentation for any outdoor party!
Note: If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 20 minutes to prevent them from burning on the grill.
Easy Vegetable Kebabs
Makes 5 kebabs (perfect for 5 people)
10 baby red potatoes
2 small zucchini, sliced 1/2-inch thick
10-14 multi-colored peppers (we used the baby ones), or 3 peppers (1 each: yellow, orange, red)
1 red onion, quartered and separated
Olive oil for brushing or cooking spray
Johnny’s Seasoning Salt, or seasoning of your choice
Since the baby potatoes are the largest item on the skewer, precook them first. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook them until just softened (but take care to not overcook). Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon and add the zucchini slices. Cook for about 2-3 minutes to soften them up a bit, too. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside with potatoes.
Remove the tops and seeds from the peppers then cut in half. If using whole peppers, cut in half then into quarters. Set aside.
Peel onion then quarter. Separate the quarters into individual sections. Set aside.
Now you’re ready to assemble! Place 2-3 sections of onion onto a skewer then add a potato, a slice of zucchini, 2-3 pieces of pepper (preferably all different colors), another 2-3 sections of onion, another potato and piece of zucchini, and finally more peppers. Brush all sides of the kebab with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Season on all sides with Johnny’s Seasoning Salt. Repeat until all kebabs have been made.
Place on a preheated grill over medium-high heat. Grill, rotating so that all sides cook, until vegetables are nicely done, about 10 minutes.
For a vegetarian meal, enjoy with grains such as farro or quinoa, or serve alongside your favorite meat kebabs. We served ours with chicken, shrimp and scallop kebabs!
- 4 Vegetarian Recipes with a Pop of Pesto
- Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Killer Kale Salads for Everyday Meals
- Easy Vegetarian Meals to Make for Meatless Monday
- Ultimate Veggie Burger for the Grill
- Summer Lovin': 5 Sensational Coleslaw Recipes
- Introducing the FREE Meatless Monday Chili E-Cookbook!
- 5 Grilled Main Dishes to Serve at Your Labor Day Barbecue
- Outrageously Delicious Balsamic Blueberry Grilled Cheese
- Get Grilling: Watermelon au Poivre
- Easy Breakfast Cookie
- INDIAN 5-SPICE TOMATO RELISH
- Vegan spicy sautéed mushrooms in 10 minutes.
- Roasted Asparagus with Egg Salad
- Homemade Sauerkraut with cranberries
- Pumpkin, celery root and carrot salad
- Just in time for grill season, terrific tips for the perfect steak
- Creamy Cashew Garlicky Sage Sauce
- Spicy Red Lentil Soup With Magic Potion
- Grilled Corn Salad With Cilantro-Tamarind Dressing