When changing your dietary habits, having the right ingredients on hand make the transition easier. Once you've decided to go gluten-free, it's important to clean out your pantry and re-stock it with ingredients that you know will assist you on this journey. As they say, out with the old and in with the new. These five ingredients are essential to gluten-free living.
To make pancakes, muffins, cakes and cookies, you will need to invest in some gluten-free flours. Depending on the recipe, pre-packaged all purpose gluten-free flours may work but it's better to have a variety on hand in case a recipe calls for a specific ratio of certain flours. Brown or white rice flour, oat flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and xanthan gum are a good place to start.
Quinoa is a superfood that should be incorporated into any diet, not just gluten-free. It's packed with protein and rich in iron, magnesium, calcium and dietary fiber. It's a great substitute for rice and other grains.
Just because you are eating gluten-free doesn't mean you have to give up your favorite pasta dishes. Most gluten-free pastas are made from rice but you can also find quinoa and other ancient grain pastas as well. Pasta is great for quick and easy cooking on busy weeknights.
Bread is an essential ingredient in any kitchen, even a gluten-free one. I prefer millet bread to other gluten-free breads but it's personal preference. Use it to make sandwiches, enjoy a piece of toast or turn the slices into bread crumbs.
Enjoy all your favorite Mexican dishes by swapping out flour tortillas for corn ones. Corn is gluten-free and therefore safe food for those with celiac's disease.
- Ingredient of the Week: Quinoa
- 3 Minute Cranberry Relish - No Cooking Required
- Seriously Best Ever Bourbon Cranberry Sauce - Cranberry Craze Pt 2
- Sensational Roasted Cauliflower with Apples and Dill, Gluten Free + Vegan
- Allergy Friendly Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways
- Vegan Recipe Roundup: 5 Fall Favorites
- Gluten Free + Allergy Friendly Thanksgiving Desserts
- 3 Super Fast Gluten-Free Mug Cake Recipes
- Last Minute Vegan Gluten Free Desserts
- 4 Ingredient Gluten-Free Buckeyes
- Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Wild Rice Stuffing with Cranberries and Hazelnuts - Gluten Free & Dairy Free
- Gluten-Free Sweet Rice Flour Pie Crust
- Blueberry Coconut Muffins [gluten-free]
- Grilled Chicken Skewers with Asian Flavors
- Sundried Tomato-Tahini Spread
- 5-Minute Rocky Road Fudge
- Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini Sauce
- Whole-Grain Muesli Bars
- Strawberry Watermelon Mint Smoothie